One More Time

I have to be careful when I get to school tomorrow. Anyone could be anything just waiting in the wings for the perfect chance to attack. I hope that Charlie is prepared for any kind of danger that lurks ahead. I should probably ask him about Kate sometime today. I walk out of my room. I spot Charlie pacing around in the kitchen. "Charlie, is something wrong?" I ask. Charlie shakes his head. "It's nothing you should worry about." He says. I put my right hand in the center of his back. "Charlie, we've known each other for a month and a half now, you can trust me with anything," I say, confident that Charlie will tell me what is bothering him. Charlie sighs. "If you want to know so bad, I guess I'll tell you," Charlie says. Charlie walks over to the mantel I never knew existed. He picks out a photo from the collection of photos on top of the mantel. It's a picture of him and a girl standing next to each other, smiling. Charlie sighs. "Two months ago, James killed Kate, my ex-girlfriend," Charlie says. I grimace. "So, why is this bothering you? She was your ex, right?" I say, trying to help. "She died, that's how she became my ex." Charlie puts the photo back. I walk over to him and hug him. "At least you have me, right?" I say, knowing exactly what is about to happen. Charlie leans towards me, then backs up. "A-are you okay w-with th-this?" Charlie says. I respond by grabbing his face. I pull his face towards mine. Charlie smiles, I have to finish this now. I pull Charlie's face towards mine and kiss him. Charlie seems surprised but slowly fades into my kiss. As I feel his lips softly touching mine, I feel a true sense of calm, for the first time since I was four. The sense of calm reminds me of my mother. My heart aches and I pull away. "Charlie, I-I can't continue." I walk to my room, thinking about my mother. "Ahh, mom, how are you doing? I wonder when I'll visit the castle again."