Happenings

It's Friday again and Charlie has finally noticed. Charlie has become a bit more shy around me, and I like that. During lunch, I can't find Charlie. The thought warms me. I decide to sit alone, at an empty table. After some time, Alexandra approaches me and sits to my left.

"Hello."

"Hi."

"Who are you?"

"Seto Alexander James Lucifer David Dreamurr III."

"I'm Alexandra Coroman V. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too."

Alexandra doesn't recognize me. I think back to the day I brewed her a cure for possession withdrawal. Did I mistakenly add an amnesiatic to the cure? I can't remember. The only way to find out is to ask her about it.

"Hey, I think I know you from somewhere."

"Do you?"

"Does my last name, Dreamurr, mean anything to you, maybe trigger a memory?"

"No. Not until now."

"Until now?"

I may be getting somewhere.

"Yeah. The last name Dreamurr is representative of the guy who let me sit next to him."

Nope.

"That's it?"

"Now that I think of it, no. Something about your last name triggers something in me, but I can't place what."

"How does this, thing, make you feel?"

"I don't know. Happy?"

"Happy."

"Yes, happy."

Gratitude for the cure. Alexandra looks me down and her eyes widen.

"Oh! You saved me, I remember now! Thank you Seto."

"You're welcome."

Alexandra and I sit there silently, motionless, for a few minutes before Alexandra stands and leaves. I ponder the exchange until the lunch bell rings and I have to return to class.

...

At home, I don't bother to check on Charlie. He's been avoiding me all day and until he approaches me, I shall not approach him. He has a reason for avoiding me, and I will let it come to me, I shall not push for it. Things proceed as usual, except for one thing. Charlie is not present at dinner. I take it up to him not wanting to see me yet and shrug it off.

...

A few days later, some students have started rumors about strange things happening at school, with disappearing students and darker hallways even while being fully lit. I take these claims to be just as they are, rumors. During lunch that day, the cafeteria darkens to an almost pitch black color. The lights remain on, however. The rumors are true. Many students begin screaming as I stand. Teachers and administrators have begun walking around in an attempt to calm the chaos. I slip out of the cafeteria unnoticed. The rest of the school is in the same state as the cafeteria. In the hallways, I spot footprints on the floor. The footprints lead me to the teacher's lounge, where a handprint lies on the window. I open the door to the room and the school returns to it's previous state. I look around at the school's brightened state. Shortly after I close the door to the teacher's lounge and begin making my way back to the cafeteria, the school darkens once more. When I return to the teacher's lounge, I look through what little I can see through of the window. I spot a boy tied to a chair inside, struggling to try and free himself. The window is translucent, and I cannot make out the boy's individual features. I open the door and the boy disappears. The school returns to normal shortly thereafter. I enter the teacher's lounge and the school begins flickering between it's darkened state and it's normal shape. During this flickering, I hear the boy's pained screams that become louder as I get closer. At once, I get close enough to discern the boy's features. The boy is Charlie. I begin running towards Charlie, but he seems to be moving farther and farther away from me. I slow down and I finally make some ways towards him. Charlie's cries become clearer as well.

"Help! Help me, please!"

I finally reach Charlie. At this point, the darkened school is lingering longer and more frequently than the normal school. I begin to untie Charlie, assuring him that he is safe all the while. When I finish, Charlie hugs me tightly, turning me a deep black. The school slowly fades back into it's normal state again. Charlie lets go and looks at me, his face red.

"Th-thanks Seto."

Charlie looks down, then back up at me. Charlie swiftly kisses me on the cheek before running out of the teacher's lounge. The experience doesn't give me the euphoria I was expecting. Instead, if fills me with a deep dread and loathing for the future. If Charlie becomes involved in my affairs, then what will happen?