Heat

I awaken, startled, panting. I look around. It was only a dream. I take a second to ponder what I saw in the dream. What did Shadow mean when he said that this wasn't the worst of it? I spend the next few minutes thinking about how Shadow brought up my feelings for Charlie. I do love him. Why can I not accept that? I ponder the thought momentarily before deciding to drop it for the time being. I take a look at my calendar. It's Saturday. I sigh and fall back on my bed. I close my eyes and allow myself to fall back into a slumber.

...

I wake up once more and smile. It's a beautiful day outside. Birds are singing, flowers are blooming, and Charlie is standing over me, frowning. Momentarily, I do not notice him. When I do recognize Charlie's presence, I jump out of bed, startled.

"H-hi, Charlie."

My face is a deep black when I land. Charlie laughs.

"Hey, how are you? I think yesterday was kinda taxing for you."

My hands tremble and my exhaustion from yesterday returns. I involuntarily fall backwards onto the floor.

"Charlie, did you have to remind me of that?"

Charlie steps back and chuckles.

"Yes. Yes I did."

I roll my eyes at his response, slightly amused. I shakily stand, but I am balanced.

"So, am I making breakfast today?"

Charlie smiles. His smile enchants me.

"No. Dad is. Since you fell asleep right away, he decided to make breakfast today. It's not as good as what you make, but it'll suffice."

Charlie turns to begin walking from the room.

"Come down when you're ready."

Charlie exits my room, leaving me to think once more. I lie motionless in my bed before eventually making the decision to stand up and head downstairs for breakfast.

...

After breakfast, Charlie heads upstairs to do some schoolwork. I, meanwhile, head out of the house to do some thinking for myself. How am I to return to the realm of magic? I have no portal and attempting to conjure one would kill me. Charlie certainly can't provide me with one. If I do find a way to return to the realm of magic, then should I bring Charlie with me? Would Charlie even be able to breathe the Potassium filled air? Would it be smarter to leave him behind? Should I even return to the realm of magic, or should I stay here, and build a relationship with Charlie? So many questions. I sigh to myself and walk to my car. Once inside, lie back and let my thoughts envelope me.

...

...

On my way out to the grocery store on Sunday, I peck Charlie on the cheek, hoping that I convey my feelings towards him in the act. I falter in the door long enough to see him turn red. I smiles. He truly is cute. I've made the right choice.