Day 5 • Sick Day

Cady wakes up to a muffled moan coming from the bathroom, already running downstairs to grab the ginger ale and honey, knowing the drill from how many times its happened.

The honey is always on the island counter, always in reach. The ginger ale is always in the pantry, elbow-height, also always in reach.

Cady charges back upstairs, running into the bathroom and putting the stuff on the counter, tying Janis's hair back into a simple bun, murmuring soothing words whilst rubbing her back in circles.

"Oh, Jan. Are you gonna throw up?" Cady asks. Janis nods, her head resting on the side of the porcelain bowl.

"Did you already throw up?" Janis shakes her head.

"How long have you been in here?" Cady asks, now going into their make-shift sign language answers.

Janis holds up five fingers four times, signaling twenty minutes.

"Oh, my poor darling." Cady sighs, starting the water on a bath, pouring in the bubble solution.

Cady hears Janis gag, turning around immediately and rubbing her back as she retches into the toilet, coughing profusely afterwards.

She gags twice more, then retches again, nearly choking on the lump in her throat.

"Oh, Jan. My poor baby." Cady coos, cradling her, "are you done now?"

Janis nods her head, falling limp in Cady's arms like a rag doll, letting out a painful moan.

"How about you get undressed and get into the bath, hm?" Cady suggests.

Janis nods, slowly standing up and taking off the shirt she slept in.

Cady walks out of the room, grabbing a towel and a stool which she would let Janis use as a table for the honey and ginger ale.

When Cady comes back, Janis is already submerged in the bubbly water, looking absolutely ridiculous with her chin covered in bubbles and her hair completely on top of her head.

"On't augh ah ee." Janis whines as best as she can with her throat being sore and half of her words being hard to understand.

"It's kinda hard not to. Do you want me to come in with you?" Cady asks, her laughs dying down. Janis nods and Cady goes to grab another towel, coming back in a matter of minutes.

About thirty minutes later, Janis is peacefully laying on Cady's chest, both of them submerged in the bubbles, half the bottle of ginger ale and honey empty.

"I love you JayJay." Cady whispers, pulling a strand of hair out of her face.

"JayJay?"

"Janis, are you okay?" Cady repeats, her voice now filled with alarm.

Then, Cady lets out a laugh, hearing the whistling noise come out of Janis's mouth, signaling she's sleeping and Cady already knows she would stay here forever if she could.

And Cady wouldn't mind that.