Day 6 • Hot Chocolate

Janis wakes up to the smell of something sweet and cinnamon-y, one of her favorite smells beside lemon and lavender.

Janis pulls on a silky black robe over the black shorts and crop-top she had worn to sleep, slipping her bunny slippers on and walking down the stairs.

Immediately realizing she's half blind, she runs back up the half-flight of stairs she went down, running back into their room and grabbing her glasses, then continuing her way downstairs.

Cady's in the kitchen, pouring fresh hot chocolate into crimson-red mugs, topping it with whipped cream and marshmallows, sprinkling cinnamon on them through a sifter. On the island counter next to the hot chocolate cups sit two glass straws along with two plates of French toast.

"What's the occasion, babe?" Janis asks, her eyes still practically drooping. Cady looks up immediately, her eyes sparkling as she runs over to Janis.

"Good, you're up!" Cady squeals, pressing a kiss to her cheek and hugging her tightly, "And, nothing special." Cady says, smiling mischievously.

"Did we have something planned for today?" Janis asks, taking a seat on one of the bar stools.

"Nope! Just felt like doing this because you're the best girlfriend ever."

"Is it our anniversary?"

"Nope!"

"Someone's birthday?"

"Nah-ah!"

"Holiday that isn't Christmas?"

"No! Besides Hannukkah which we don't celebrate." Cady says, squirting some whipped cream into her mouth.

"Hey, give me some!" Janis whines.

"Take your Lact-o pills, first. Dairy never ends well with you." Cady orders, handing her the bottle.

"But they're dry and chalky! I'll be fine!" Janis argues, pouting like a child.

"You say that every time and every time you say you need to go the hospital and then have someone plan for funeral because you feel like you're dying. Now, take them." Cady says, handing her two of them. Janis sighs, giving in as she swallows them, chasing them down with a glass of water.

Janis then snatched the whipped cream bottle from her hand, pressing down on the point and spraying it into her mouth.

"Janis, that's enough." Cady says, laughing.

Janis holds her finger down still.

"Janis Heidi Sarkisian, I said that's enough!" Cady orders, her inner mom-personality coming out.

Janis puts the whipped cream bottle down without hesitation, looking like a rabid animal, whipped cream all over her chin and lips.

Cady's lips are pursed like she just ate a lemon, trying and failing to conceal laughter. She falls to the floor, practically wheezing and looking like a dying seal.

Janis wipes her mouth with the back of her hand, laughing now as well.

"Can you get up so we can drink the amazing hot chocolate you just made and eat the French toast that you so ruthlessly buttered mine because you know I'm married to it?" Janis asks, holding out a hand for Cady to grab.

Cady reaches up, but Janis snatched her hand away, cackling like the wicked witch of the west as Janis grabs both cups of the hot chocolate and running upstairs.

"Janis!" Cady calls, "Come back with my hot chocolate! And you forgot your French toast!"

Janis comes running back down the stairs, a chocolate mustache already forming. She grabs her plate of French toast, taking a bite and then grabbing Cady's, shaking her head like a lion eating its food.

Janis races back upstairs, Cady hearing their bedroom door slam and more cackling. She lifts herself off the floor, clearing her throat.

"You're starving me to death!" Cady yells.

"This is abuse!"

"Shut up!"

"911, my wife is abusing me!"

"Shut up, please— did you say wife?"

"No!"