Day 24 • Christmas Eve

This is late and I might not be able to do the last day today but we'll see. Merry Christmas, y'all! Comment your favorite thing you got today. Mine was probably my bunny onesie or the feminist shirts I got. Hope your day is doing well, enjoy!

• • •

"Janis!"

"Yes, babe?"

"It's Christmas Eve!"

There's thumping and then Cady stands in front of Janis who is sitting on the sofa, watching a movie.

"Yeah, Christmas is tomorrow," Janis says, smiling at Cady and then turning back to the TV.

Cady frowns, "don't you wanna do something? Like go ice skating or go to the park?" Cady asks, plopping down next to Janis.

"No, I'm good. I think we should rest today—!" Janis yelps as she's pulled up from the sofa, soft lips pressing to hers.

She smiles goofily as Cady stares back at her.

"We're going ice skating and then we're doing something special," Cady orders, "put on something nice but comfortable!" she yells as she runs up the stairs.

Janis lifts an eyebrow but follows Cady's orders, following her upstairs.

About thirty minutes later, Janis and Cady are in nice but winter-appropriate clothes.

Cady has a simple white, long-sleeved dress on with a fuzzy black sweater that goes halfway down her torso and Janis has a long-sleeved black sweater on with a white skirt.

Janis has somehow not grown out of her floral-print tights she wore in high school so she decided to wear those with black thigh-high boots.

Cady put on a pair of skin colored tights so she'd be a little bit warmer on her legs, and a pair of white heels.

Janis settled with a black beanie and Cady put on a gray scarf.

The park and their house weren't that far apart so they decided they'd come back and pick up Button after they were done ice skating so they could take her for a nice walk.

Hand in hand, Janis and Cady walked outside to the car, Janis unlocking it and opening the passenger side door for Cady.

"M'lady," Janis jokes, smiling at her.

"Thank you, ma'am," Cady says in an (incredibly bad) British accent.

Cady jumps into the car and Janis closes the door for her, running to the driver's seat and hopping inside.

About fifteen minutes later, they're parked in the parking lot by the outdoor ice skating rink.

Cady had pre-ordered their skates so she just had to say her name and last name and they had their skates.

Janis helped Cady put hers on since apparently, she had only gone ice skating once in the first year the Herons had arrived in Chicago.

"Ready, babe?" Janis asked once she finally got her ice skates on.

"Ready."

About thirty minutes later, Cady slipped on the ice in front of ten people and insisted they went home.

Mostly out of embarrassment but her back also really hurt since she nearly had the wind knocked out of her.

"I'm sorry, Jan. I ruined our plans," Cady sighs on the car ride back.

"Babe, don't say that. It isn't your fault you fell and hurt yourself," Janis reassures, steering their car on to their street.

"But we were supposed to go on a walk with Button and say 'Happy Christmas Eve' to people in the park and look at the stars that are left and listen for jingle bells," Cady argues, her voice growing more sad.

Janis pulls their car into their driveway, turning to Cady.

"It's not your fault, darling. Christmas Eve is not ruined. How about we go inside and I make some spaghetti with lots of oregano and we cuddle and make out on the couch until eleven?" Janis offers, holding Cady's hands in her own.

"I'd like that," Cady giggles, her mood changing immediately.

"Happy Christmas Eve, Caddie."

"Happy Christmas Eve, Jan."