Day 16 • Making Christmas Cookies

"Babe, chill with the cookie dough."

"Santa needs the biggest cookie he has ever seen!"

"You've put half the bowl into that one cookie. Just even it out a little bit."

"But Janis!" Cady whines.

"But Caddie!" Janis mocks.

"Fine! But you're going on his Naughty list since you wouldn't let me give him the biggest cookie ever." Cady pouts, taking off a chunk of the huge lump of chocolate chip cookie dough.

Gingerbread man-shaped cookies settle next to the stove, cooling off and Cady waits anxiously for them to be able to decorate. Sugar cookies and peanut butter chocolate chip sit on the opposite side of the stove, along with a batch of brownies.

A fresh batch of chocolate chip goes into the oven, the giant cookie in the middle of it and Janis will be surprised if the cookies don't morph together.

Finally, there's silence beside the sound of light clanging and then Cady screams.

"Janis!"

Janis nearly gasps as she's back on alert, "What is it? What's wrong?" she says, panic in her voice.

"I'm bored!" Cady says, laughing. It's obvious she's on a sugar high.

"Fuck you."

"You wish!" Cady giggles, which soon turn into laughter and then laugh-screaming as she falls onto the floor, holding her stomach since it hurts from laughing so hard.

She's now full-on snorting which is not a Cady-thing to do. Usually, it's cute, charming laughing that makes heads turn, but it's full-on snort-laughing now.

Janis inhales deeply as she pulls on her oven mitts, opening the oven and pulling the batch of cookies out, putting the next one in.

Cady stays on the floor for a while until she finally calms down. She's taking long, heavy breaths, trying to catch them since she could barely breathe from laughing for so long.

"Jaaaaaanissssss," Cady says in a sing-song voice.

"Yes, my love?" Janis answers in a baby-like voice.

"I'm bleeeeeedingggggg," Cady says, going into a laughing fit again.

Janis takes another deep inhale, closing her eyes and exhaling, her lips pressed together in a straight line.

This will be a long day.