Day 17 • Making Gingerbread Houses

"Caddie, which Gingerbread set did you get?" Janis asks, softening the bottle of icing.

"The usual one, the gingerbread village," Cady says, showing her the box and opening it.

"Got it, which houses am I doing?" Janis asks, cutting off the tip of the bottle.

"The bigger ones. I'm doing the tent and the mushroom house, you're doing the generic house and the two-part one, which I get one side of," Cady explains, cutting open the plastic. She takes out the parts and lays them on the cutting board, beginning to cut them with a knife when one piece breaks.

"Off to a great start, am I right?"

Cady glued the pieces back together and they started assembling them. Janis is doing pretty well and Cady just finished the mushroom house, which is a house with four tall, slender walls and a completely flat roof.

"Can you pour the candy into bowls, babe?" Janis asks, focusing intently on putting the right amount of icing on a wall.

"Yep, give me one sec," Cady answers, her tongue stuck out a little bit as she fixes up a bit of icing on her house.

She unpackages the candies which consisted of peppermints, little jelly drops, mini Christmas lights of various different colors and little balls which also came in many different colors.

Cady takes out four bowls, pouring the candies into separate ones. She glances over at Janis who just finished assembling the big share-house.

"Okay, both my houses are done, how about you?" Janis says, looking over to Cady who has just started her tent.

"Just starting the tent, should be done in like five minutes," Cady says, concentrating hard.

Somehow, the three-piece tent has completely fallen apart. When Cady had tried to put the two walls together, there was a crack in the top where the icing fell through. She's now trying, and failing, to put it back together.

About an hour later, Janis and Cady have 'decorated' the houses. The tent is still in a heap on their white, plastic tray and the rest of the houses are just barely standing.

So far, Janis has written 'big gae' on the side of the big house in big, obnoxious letters and incredibly sloppy handwriting, and Cady has used all of the tiny ball candies to make the rainbow, which also spells out 'ur gay'.

All of the houses are basically ironic jokes.

Along with their masterpieces, Janis has painted an annoyingly-accurate picture of Button with icing on the biggest wall on the houses, which Button immediately recognized herself as.

Long story short, the houses turned out exactly as they planned.

Not kidding, this actually happens every year and it needs to stop.

Will it though? I think you know the answer.

In case not,

NO