O N E

I stared at the window on the drive to Atlanta

I stared at the window on the drive to Atlanta. Hope was in the passenger seat, and Alaric was driving. Caroline was off recruiting for the school, just as we were right now. Though, Caroline has been gone a while. She and I became close over the past two years, but I was still a student at this school before anything else.

She had offered me a teaching job, history in particular, but I didn't want to. I wanted to actually be a teenager for once, not someone who was kidnapped by their aunt. Not someone who was chasing after their father for almost a millennia, not someone who was watching her family from afar, and definitely not someone who was going by an alias just so she can be around her own family.

That wasn't who I wanted to be. As long as Hope was still a student, I wanted to experience modern teenage years with her, my best friend and cousin.

I thought about my boyfriend, thinking that I was really blessed to have had got to keep him the past two years. We were really going solid, despite everything that's happened.

Alaric parked the car, very quickly with the tires screeching, might I add, and we all got outside. As we approached the church, there was a boy in a jean jacket with clothe sleeves, a jacket I've been wanting by the way. He was sitting on the steps with earbuds blaring, I could hear his music from where I was, and he was jotting something down into a notebook.

An intellectual, let's see how he reacts to what he was about to experience. We all knew inside of that church was a newly triggered werewolf going through his first transformation.

The boy took his earbuds out, looking at us with wide eyes. Hope stopped in her tracks as she saw him.

"Landon?" she said.

Landon? I wondered, but then it clicked. He was the townie, the one she danced with the night Uncle Klaus took the Hollow from her, the night of her first full moon as a werewolf. He was the boy who used to serve us milkshakes. I stifled a laugh.

"Hope?" he asked, looking at me next. "Lilah?"

"You three know each other?" Alaric questioned, walking up the steps with his duffel bag and crossbow.

"Long story," Hope replied.

We could hear someone yelling from the inside, and glass was shattering.

Landon stood up, looking at the door looking scared.

"Dr. Saltzman," Hope and I said together, looking at him.

"Yeah, I'm on it," he said, approaching the door.

He attempted to open the door, but it was locked.

"Doors are locked," he said.

"Dissera Portus!" Hope chanted, holding her hands up as she casted the spell.

Sometimes, watching her and everyone else do magic, I missed the day I was a witch.

"You're gonna want to stay out here, Landon, trust me," she told the boy, who looked terrified.