T H I R T Y - O N E

Hi, as this story gets increasingly popular—which still completely astounds me, I just want to try to get to know you guys better. That's the best part about wattpad, it's a community. I can actually talk to my readers here. That's the whole reason why I do the "chapter quotas." I want to know what parts you guys like, so I know what kind of content you guys are looking for. A lot of the decisions I make in writing—like which characters you get to see more of, who to build on—is something I base on comments. As for votes? The more people actually vote and read this, the more it'll get ranked on wattpad, and the more people get to see this story.

30 votes
30 comments
———
Rafael walked into the Mikaelson dorm as the girls packed up.

"I'm coming!" he said.

"Hello to you, too," Hope said.

"Uh, and no, you're not," added Lilah.

"Look, like time you guy did this without me, it was a disaster," Rafael said.

"Except, I'm not gonna go alone this time," Hope said. "I'm gonna draft the twins, MG, I'm bringing Lilah, Kaleb," she said, counting the names on her fingers. "We're going before Dr. Saltzman comes back. It'll be like a Super Squad Assemble. I dunno, is that a thing?"

Rafael shook his head.

"I don't know. I'll ask MG," said Hope, throwing her hands up and walking back to her luggage.

"Yeah, I'll ask him myself," Rafael said.

"Raf," Lilah sighed. "Dr. Saltzman told her about the side effects."

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you come," Hope said.

He sighed, looking away in frustration. Lilah walked up to him, placing a hand on his upper arm.

"How do you feel now?"

He sat down on Lilah's bed, sighing again. Lots of sighing was going on. He scoffed. "Like my brains been split in the middle," he spoke truthfully.

Hope grabbed onto the ring around her neck.

"I keep having these flashes like I can't control myself," he explained. "And.."

"That's why I'm not allowing you to be coming on the mission," Lilah whispered softly, sitting down in front of him. "I can't let you go back into that psychosis state, Rafael. Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"You know why," Rafael said, looking her straight in the eye. "I don't know how to be around you, Lilah. I don't want to feel this way, so I push it down. Because everyone at this school, they're struggling and get can control themselves. You have had it the worst, and you keep it down. And me repressing this just makes it all worse, which makes it harder to hide. And the only person I want to talk about it with is the only person I can't."

"I lost control to the point where my ancient mother put me in the afterlife," Lilah reminded him. "Why can't you talk to me about this?"

"You're a vampire, what would you understand about wolves?"

"I've lived with wolves for a very long time," Lilah said, looking at Hope, though the words that Rafael said stung a little. "And even if I can't understand, Hope is someone you can talk to."

"Raf..." Hope said softly. "You're a good brother. But for once, you need to put yourself first. Do what you need to get better. If things get really bad..."

She went to her drawer, pulling out some kind of jewelry and bringing it over to Raf.

"...Use this. It's a long story, but, um, it was a gift from a family friend," Hope said, handing him a ring.