T W E N T Y

A glowing urn? Probably not the best sign from a mysterious and unknown Malivore object. The only thing left was to wait for the next monster to show up looking for it. 

It was officially day one without Roman Sienna.

"Are you sure that's even safe for the kids there?"

"We're supernatural, Joshy," I laughed at the concerned vampire, but I spoke in whispers as I walked through the halls of the school. It was two in the morning, and I was heading to Alaric's to talk about the urn with him and Hope. "We all managed to keep Hope safe when she was a kid, remember?"

Josh called to ask how I was doing after the whole Roman leaving thing, which happened the day before. It was sweet of him to think I would need him company, but I wasn't sure if I should be offended that he thought I'd be crying at 2 a.m.

Okay, it's more likely that I would be than not, but still.

"Yeah, with a lot of casualties though," he reminded me.

"I think we'll be fine," I said, stopping in front of Alaric's office door. "Okay, I gotta go. I'll talk to you soon."

"Alright, love you, Lilah," he said.

Hope was standing by his desk while Alaric went through some of the books on his shelf when I walked in.

"How long do you think it'll be until the next monster shows up?" Hope asked when I closed the door.

"It's hard to say. I've never actually seen an artifact glow before," Alaric replied, turning around. He looked at me, "Thanks for deciding to meet us."

I rolled my eyes at the headmaster, but playfully.

"Where did you hide the urn, by the way?" he asked Hope.

"Yeah, where is it?" I chimed in. She hadn't even told me where it was.

"I'm not sure I should tell you," Hope said.

We both looked at her like she had two heads, and said in unison, "Excuse me?"

"Isn't it safer if only one of us knows where it is?" she asked.

"Then that one of us should be the adult," Alaric scolded.

"Funny, because I thought it should be the one of us with high-level superpowers," Hope sassed.

"In both of those cases, it should be me then," I said, causing Alaric to look at me with a scolding look.

I knew that Hope and Alaric were still walking on eggshells with me, trying to see if I was really as stable as I seemed. In truth, I felt better that day. I woke up and felt like there was things that needed to get done, and that I should do it. 

My heart was aching for the Roman shaped hole in my life at the moment, but that was about it. I tried not to think too much about Elijah, about Lorelle. I looked at the old journals they kept, the ones I read religiously, but I hadn't opened them for a while. 

I hadn't opened my own in a while.

"What?" I asked. "I'm way older than you, Ric."

"What should we tell everyone else?" Hope asked. "We should probably warn them before a cyclops crashes exam week."

"I would kill for a cyclops to crash exam week. Or to crash into me so I don't have to deal with exam week," I joked, earning more scolding glares from Alaric, and one from Hope, too.

Yup, it was probably comments like that that made them walk around eggshells with me.

"Well," Alaric said, ignoring my comment and sitting down on the top of his desk. "It's usually best to start with some form of the truth."