Chapter 10

*MIKAYLA*

Mom called us all to Dad's office, but they were both nowhere to be seen as we sat in silence in the enormous room. Jessica and Sierra were sitting in the guest chair. Jake was in Jessica's lap. Lance and I were standing behind them while Gabriel sat on the couch in the corner with the TV. I looked over at him. He smiled giving me a warm fuzzy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"Where's Dad? We've been in here for almost an hour," Lance said agitated when Mom walked in.

Mom made her way to Dad's desk and sat in his over sized alpha chair.

"It's me who has called you in here. Not your father. He has become very ill. To the point," Mom paused. She seemed greatly troubled. "To the point he may be leaving us soon." A tear fell from her left eye. It didn't get far before she wiped it away.

She let it sink in our heads for a while before she spoke again. Gabriel came to my side. I swung my head to look at him. My brother pulled me back before I could cuddle myself into my mate.

"You marked her?" Lance pushed my long hair away from my neck. He examined it closely before yelling at Gab again. "You weren't suppose to be near her in the first place!" Lance swung at Gabriel but missed by inches. "You piece of..."

"Boys! This is why I called you in. Gabriel has already taken Miki as his mate, so he is up for alpha." Mom and I smiled at my gorgeous mate. Being Alpha would be an honor for him and his Beta father.

"That's my spot!" Lance jumped immediately like a child.

"Just as much as Jessica's mate and Gabriel." Mom replied calmly.

"My mate will not accept," Jessica stepped in. "He's already taken his spot in his pack. And, and I wish to finally join him."

"Very well Jessica. Go get ready, and I will call your mate forward when I am finished here. Lance. Gabriel. You will duel this out tomorrow night at eight sharp out in the boxing pit. May the better, smarter, stronger wolf take the alpha title."

*GABRIEL*

Miki snuggled herself up to me. I held her tight. I didn't want to fight her brother, my good friend. We fell apart when we found out Miki would be my mate. She was perfect, sweet, amazing. She was in a deep sleep. I could hear her heart pound steadily. I feared the worst for tomorrow. All I want was to keep my mate safe and sound. I didn't really care for the title. I'd rather run away and be free but becoming rogue wouldn't be healthy for someone like her. Someone with such a strong title. It could break someone as delicate as her. My mate was my main concern. I'd die for her.