Chapter 12

NARRATOR

Alpha Lawler looked at the two boys. He sighed and shook his head. "You boys aren't making this any easier on me. Fine, I know how to pick the new alpha," he said before coughing hard. "We'll have a match instead of a battle. Whichever wolf responds bet to each challenge will be the winner."

*MIKAYLA*

I thought Gabriel was crazy when he told me he had backed out of the fight. I was about to faint at the thought my mate and I would have to live a rouge lifestyle.

"Your dad said matches no battle."

Well I guess that was better than nothing. I didn't think Lance would have the courage to step down for my sake with my mate.

Later That Day at the Match

Gabriel was swift when it came to the maze challenge. The wolf who could use his powers to his advantage and find a way out quickest would win. Lance made it out in three minutes forty two seconds, but Gabriel was ten seconds faster.

The attack challenge scared me. I didn't fear for my mate's sake but for those attacking him. He and Lance did their best to avoid causing the volunteers any major pain. Lance was smarter at taking them down though.

"It's a draw!" My dad's beta's voice boomed throughout the arena. He must have been so proud of Gabriel.

"Gabriel has won three challenges as well as my son Lancerith." Dad proclaimed, so the next challenge was a tiebreaker.

I sat shaking as the boys walked into separate fear simulators. Whichever wolf could handle his fears best would become alpha.

Lance's fears appeared on the screen. He escaped sharks and jumped off a building. He was faced with an aggressive mate that rejected him and also an abusive version of our father. He made it out of his fears in eleven minutes flat.

Gabriel's fears shook me. He had to escape a pit of snakes and battle an alpha of alphas. My mate was faster than my brother exiting the simulator in 9.54 minutes.

"Your new Alphas!" My father's voice boomed. "Gabriel and my daughter Mikayla."

The uproar of the crowd was ear-deafing. I felt my body ripple. It was my power reaching its maximum point.