XXIII | P O P P Y

Jake's POV

"Jake! We've got nowhere else to go, stop pacing!" Fiona huffed at me. I turned to her and gave her a rather angry look, "Well I don't see you making a path of coral or something for us to get to Blackpool!"
"Jacob!" I looked at Emma with a wince. She never says my proper name. "We can get to Blackpool." She had a smile on her face and I was thoroughly confused until she dove into the water. "Everyone follow Emma and don't worry about getting wet clothes."

Soon we were all following Emma towards the large army vessel at the sea bed. Em made it float and Olive started lighting the furnaces while Hugh, Fiona and I tried to keep the little ones warm. Enoch joined the boat on the dingy because Amethyst wasn't waking up anytime soon. "Are you sure she's not dead?" Hugh asked curiously as Enoch laid Am on a few old chairs. "Hugh, don't say that!" Emma said, infuriated as she put an old, moth-bitten blanket over the sleeping girl. That guy that followed us sat by her, mumbling Spanish as he knotted his fingers together. It made Enoch livid at how close they were, but he didn't say anything as he went to steer the vessel.

Amethyst's POV

I walked through a dimly lit corridor, every other step having a door to its side. I tried opening them all, forever stuck in a road I didn't want. "Hello!?" I yelled, shaking a door furiously. "Hello, dear." The voice made me freeze; the voice of a demon I thought I'd escaped. Slowly, with the most hesitance I could manage, I turned and saw a mirror. A mirror showing half of me, and half of, "M-M-Miss Hadley..."

Jane Hadley smirked at me, her half of her face ghostly pale and her eyes as blue as the ocean. "Miss me, poppet?" Her voice made me shudder, every syllable making me weak with fear. "N-Never."
"I see your stutter hasn't left. Isn't that a beautiful reminder of me?"
"Go a-away!"
"Oh, sweetheart," her hand reached through the mirror and landed on my cheek. "You can't escape me."

With a scratch of her coral nails and an evil cackle, the mirror smashed and the floorboards broke from beneath me. I was sent tumbling, falling into the dark abyss of her power. Falling... falling... fallen.

"Amethyst! Amethyst, wake up!!" I jolted awake at the voice of a boy and the grip on my shoulders. There was no pain, no mirror, no darkness. Just the fiery tears that fell from my eyes and singed my skin. "Am, what happened? What's wrong??" A strong, slightly smelling pair of arms wrapped around me. But I didn't recognise the arms and I screamed, pushing them away. "G-Get away!! L-L-Leave me a-alone!!!" I screamed as they held me closer but were soon wrenched away.

"She said get away!!" A thick, Scottish accent yelled at the arms. Enoch! Immediately, I reached out to him. I don't know why, but I just needed his comfort. He walked over and hugged me tightly, his warmth comforting me greatly. "It's okay, Gem, it was just a dream.." Soon his words cut off and it was just his arms wrapped around me and our breathing in sync. "You okay now, firefly?" Enoch smiled slightly. Wait, smile? Firefly? I like the new Enoch. "Y-Yeah... T-Thanks..." I gave him a half smile and he helped me stand up.

Soon I was running around after Claire and Bronwyn, the ghosts of my past all vanishing to the light but one. You can't escape me. You can't escape me. You can't escape me. All I wanted was an escape; a few minutes as a normal kid with a normal life, where I didn't have to do the same thing over and over. Where I was happy. Claire grabbed my hand, pulling me back to reality. It was then that I heard the most angelic voice singing a song I didn't think anyone knew. Albeit the song was a little mumbled through, but it was amazing.

"I can't quite contain or explain my evil ways
Or explain why I'm not sane
All I can say is this is your warning
I can't quite contain or explain my evil ways
Or explain why I'm not sane
All I can say is this is your warning, duality!"

I followed the voice and Claire to find Enoch using my laptop (wow) to play a song Jake knew I liked. Mainly because I can't shut up singing it around him. A small giggle left me as Enoch looked at me and sang along again. It was hilarious watching him struggle, so I decided to join in with him. (Amethyst Enoch Both)

"I have a confession that you will not believe
That you could not perceive this freak, gonna set it off
I have a confession, of a side that I hide
It's a cloak or disguise unleashed, gonna get it off."

The door of the room shut and Enoch took my hand, dancing with me to the beat of the music. He barely knew the words yet just watching me sing perfectly helped him in a way.

"No, I'll never get away
Cause if I try to stray
It only holds me closer
No, I'll never get away
I love it anyway
I'll never stop

I can't quite contain or explain my evil ways
Or explain why I'm not sane
All I can say is this is your warning
I can't quite contain or explain my evil ways
Or explain why I'm not sane
All I can say is this is your warning, duality ,duality, duality"

At the 'duality' part, Enoch pulled me so close our lips almost touched. The next few lyrics went unheard to me but Enoch had seemed to memorise them, his accent making the words all that more meaningful.

"I have an impression, in the back of my mind
That the black of my tie contains all your dirty thoughts
Make me an obsession, when you lock me inside
For the ride of your life unleashed, gonna get it off

No, can't count the list of things
I know are wrong with me
No need to justify them
No, I'll never take the blame
So I'll just stay the same
I'll never stop"

I cut him off from the chorus, our lips pressing together and I wrapped my arms around him and he pulled me as close as humanly possible.

This was the happiness I wanted.

Eeeeeeeeeek!! I'm watching MPHFPC right nowwwwwwwww ughhhh EMMA AND JAKE JUST KISSED ugh I want a relationship like that (but gay duh)!! Anyways hope you enjoyed this chapter, cya in the next one!
X Caitlin X

December 7th, 2018