04

Chapter four
Jim and Mary
March 7th 1971
Willa's POV:
"Are we meeting Mary there?" Jim, Dawn's father asked. "Yes. Let's go so we aren't late." Dawn said as we all got into her dad's car. We arrived at the restaurant which was not as fancy as we thought. "At least I wore a skirt today." I said. Dawn shrugged and said "I still wore shorts. Don't care." I laughed and Mary walked over from her car. "Hey, Willa. Hey, Dawn." She said. The three of us began talking and Jim said "who are we waiting on." "The boys. My friend John is in a band. And his band mates are coming. A car pulled up, music blasting and the engine revving loudly, gaining all attention. Roger stepped out of the driver's seat, a cigarette dangling from his lips. Brian stepped out of the passenger seat and said "Roger, you drive so ridiculously." John stepped out from the backseat, he had to climb over the front seats. Freddie stumbled as he got out of the car and he said "Roger, you're car is too much! I'm so cramped back there I can hardly breathe!" Roger put his cigarette out and strutted over to us. "Freddie." I said, hugging him since I missed him. He hugged me back and said "how are you, darling?" "I'm good. There's some people we want you to meet." I noticed Freddie's whole demeanor change and I said "are you shy?" He nodded a little and said "yes. I'm quite shy around new people." "There's nothing be shy about with these two people. I promise." Freddie nodded and Dawn said "everyone this is my dad, Jim." He waved to the band and Jim became a father at a young age but he was a bit older than Freddie and Brian. John, Roger and Brian shook Jim's hand and introduced themselves. Freddie stepped up and Jim said "hi, I'm Jim." "Freddie." Freddie shook Jim's hand and he pulled away. I watched Freddie look him up and down, slightly staring at him. "Freddie." Dawn said to him. He looked to Dawn and said "this is Mary." "Hi." She said. Freddie shook her hand and said "hello." Mary stared at Freddie, her eyes slightly going big as she looked at him. He turned away as Roger said something to him. "He's so attractive." Mary said. I giggled and said "have you gone goo-goo eyed for Freddie?" She nodded and said "I think so." Jim and Dawn walked ahead, Freddie staring at Jim as he walked. We all got seated in the restaurant. I was in between Freddie and John. Roger had heated John to it tonight. Jim sat at the end of the table, next to Roger. We all ordered and Jim began asking questions about the band which Brian gladly answered. "So, Freddie" Mary began. Freddie jumped at her words, looking up at her with curiosity in his eyes. "Are you the lead singer?" He nodded and said "yes I'm the singer in the group. Roger sings a lot with me and Brian does occasionally. John doesn't sing. But he plays bass so it's ok." John smiled and said "I can't sing to save my life. Which is why I only play the bass." Mary nodded and said "do you have any shows coming up?" Freddie shrugged and said "we have a few songs but we want to try to make an album. That'd really help us out." "We don't have the money for an album. That's the problem." John said. Roger overheard and said "we could find ways to make money. We'll figure it out." Dawn said something to her dad and Roger cut back into their conversation. Mary continued to question Freddie about the band, most of it he could answer but there was some of it he couldn't. I watched Freddie's eyes flicker over to Jim every once in a while. Mary didn't seem to notice at the time. But Freddie was amazed at Jim. Mary stood up and went to the bathroom and I said "do you like Mary?" "Mary? I think she's great." He said. "She's not bugging you is she?" He shook his head and said "I'm fine." Our food was served and Jim paid for the bill after Freddie begged him to let him pay for it. Jim simply shook his head at Freddie and paid for the meal. Roger leaned over to Dawn and said "what're you doing later?" Dawn shrugged and said "I don't know." Jim cleared his throat at Roger who got wide eyed at him. Brian said "we've got some rehearsals done. It's going great." "I'm glad. I hope you guys get to where you want to be." I said. Freddie cut in and said "darling I'm going to be a legend. You just wait." Mary shook her head and said "you know that for sure?" "Of course. I'll get there. I'm going to be a rockstar legend. Everyone will know my name." John said "we have a lot of songs written but we just don't have the money to make an album yet. We're close though." When we finished we all headed to the parking lot towards our cars. Jim was talking to Dawn about something, making John laugh as he stood next to her. Roger nudged me and said "you think I have a chance with Dawn?" I shrugged and said "maybe." Roger nodded and stared at her. "She's pretty." "Aren't you a heartbreaker? You look like one." Roger shrugged and said "I am when I want to be." Freddie lit up a cigarette and Brian moves away from him. "Do you smoke?" I asked Brian. He shook his head and said "no. It's bad for you." Roger groaned and said "who told you that? That's not even true." Freddie nodded and said "honestly, Brian. It's not horrible for you." "Could I have one?" Freddie handed me one, lighting it up. I inhaled on it and exhaled. Brian looked like he was about to turn green. "It's just a cigarette, Brian. One won't kill you." He went to say something when Mary walked over. "You have another one of those?" She said to Freddie. He handed her one and she said "aren't you going to light it?" "My lighter is out of lighter fluid." Freddie said. Roger lit the cigarette for her and she began talking to Freddie. He would mumble "yeah." "That's cool." "Uh-huh." Freddie wasn't really listening to her. He was fixated on Jim for some reason. "I'm gonna get going." I said to Freddie. He nodded and said "have a good night, darling." I walked over to Dawn and Jim, pitting my cigarette out. I waved to the boys as did Dawn before we got into Jim's car, heading back to Dawn's house.

I had fun writing this chapter omg
~Skylar☁️🌈☁️🌈