Humiliation

The snow is completely frozen over, the surface of it sparkling with a light sheen of ice. The peak had looked close when I'd first saw it. But it turns out to be miles of snow and ice, miles of forest, which meant miles of walking.

V walks with his eyes blank and empty, unfocused on the snow and trees in front of him, but his attention devoted entirely to devising a foolproof plan for the mission to be a success. For the fifth time, I tug him out of the way just in time before he slams into a tree face first. Life comes back to his eyes in an instant and he smiles apologetically at me. "Almost done," he says, and trails off again.

The trees are beautiful with its ice flowers, and I would stop and watch if I could. White paints the entire forest, getting thicker as more snow descends from the skies above. It'll cover our tracks, at least. But the white, fluffy ice starts to wet my cheeks and face, so I'm forced to flip my hood over my head.

V flinches against my grip as his consciousness returns back to reality. "Are you awake now? What did you come up with?" I ask, curious what brilliant plan his mind had created. In answer, he slides the hood over his head, moving the flowing cloth of the bandanna to now hang down the front of his shoulder.

He tells me, and I cringe at the insanity of it. "Are you telling me the best way to get in their base is to just march into the Clans and demand them their king? Why can't we just go in as prince and princess? Are you actually serious?" My voice gets higher against my will, and he claps a hand over my mouth. "Shh! They might have patrols around here." Then his hand slightly hitches, and he mutters quietly.

"Get ready. Act like a princess, okay?

What?

And then all hell breaks loose.

A Carrera patrol surrounds us in a well-practiced circle, and V's eyes glitter in excitement. He wanted this, didn't he? He knew a patrol would hear me. He knew they would be here.

I don't even want to know how he knew all that.

I've never been so humiliated in my life as five warriors lumber towards me, sword drawn and yelling a battle cry. If I wanted to, I could knock them out in less than a second. V probably could do the same thing even faster, except the only difference would be that he would kill them.

I let myself throw a half hearted punch before one of them slams into me, knocking the wind out of my chest. A ladylike gasp explodes from my mouth as I'm flung back into a tree. In the corner of my eye, I see V getting pinned to the snow, his expression murderous. He's barely refraining himself from stabbing his knife into the man's eye. One of his slanted eyes glance to me, and gives me a crooked smile as I return a vicious look.

If looks could kill, then V would be dead a long time ago.