Tell me

"Tell me, what's the next part of your foolproof plan?" Sarcasm is dripping like honey from my voice as I wriggle my hands between the ropes that bind my wrists.

"Patience, Kir. We're almost there. This is going exactly like I wanted."

I tilt my head in confusion. "How does getting captured help.." Then it hits me. His plan makes sense now. If he had confessed that he had been the prince when we'd been fighting the patrol, they wouldn't have believed us, not ever.

But by getting captured as weak travelers that look like they have no knowledge whatsoever in the arts of combat, we lower their guards down, make them underestimate us. And to add to that, we get a free pass into the palace of the Carreras.

"Wow. You're brilliant, V." He looks at me, knowing that I had figured out his plan. Suddenly, an arm shoots out of nowhere and grabs a fistful of my hair. My head jerks back forcefully, causing me to look into the eyes of a Carreran warrior. "I said no talking. One more word out of that pretty little mouth, and I'll have your tongue chopped off."

I want to snap back a disgusted retort as he lets my hair go. V's eyes narrow dangerously at the rough gesture, his eyes staring daggers into the man's back as he turns. But then he bites his lip and looks down. I know if he had it his way, he could make breaking out of this miniature cell and slaughtering all ten buff warriors look like child's play.

But he also knows we need this to get in, so he controls his emotions.

Soon, we arrive at the palace and instantly, I can tell that the Carrerans don't get out much. Seriously, who still uses fire to cook meat and wear woolen clothes from sheep to keep warm?

But when I see the royal palace, my viewpoint changes a full one eighty degrees. They had something worth looking in this old village after all.

The palace itself looks grand and majestic, crafted entirely from stone and painted with iridescent hues for decoration. Guards and warriors make way for the patrol as they proudly march through, basking in the glory that they actually managed to capture someone.

I can't wait to see their reaction when they're executed for capturing their "crown prince".

They make up their poor fighting skills with sheer numbers. I keep that in mind as the palace doors open for the patrol and us.

And then we go in, and I can only depend on V's mind to think of a way to get us out.