Rebel

You don't order me around. Nobody does—not you, not me, not nobody. I can't even get a grip on myself, so why should you?

As I open the door to the room, I look left and right, just in case he hasn't completely gone yet. When I determine I'm good to go, I slip out of the room silently and turn right, ignoring the painful pull in my fingertips. It tells me to listen to V. It tells me to go back.

But the stronger the pull gets, the stronger my urge becomes to defy my instincts.

So I do.

I walk down where my feet takes me,
my mind instinctively recording the twisting maze of corridors and hallways. They might be useful later on, for our escape. The dim lighting of the walkways get darker still as I come to a series of doors on my sides left and right.

A sudden instinct shoots through me.

The Hope Diamond is here.

But which door?

I open the first few, my guard up and alert, but it proves to be just extra storage, basic supplies for the Carrera warriors. It's what you would have to care for an army— food, water, armor, weaponry. My eyes narrow as I carry myself further on into the darkness. Then, I see a door at the very end of the corridor, surrounded by guards.

That has to be where the diamond is.

When I turn back, satisfied with the information I gathered, I notice the sudden footsteps, rapid behind me.
Ten meters. Five meters. One meter.

Two people. My breath stops.

A hand shoots out, grabbing my arm and spinning me around. "Don't touch me." I say sharply, venom dripping from my tone. I try in vain to retract my arm back from the man's clammy grip, but he doesn't let go.

At the moment, I want nothing but to smash his nose in with a full on roundhouse kick, a precise angle of forty five degrees to the right.

But just in time, I remind myself I'm supposed to be Lady Rosella, a girl that can't harm a fly even if she wanted to. A girl vulnerable and weak. A girl that easily submits, puts up no fight, no arguments.

"She's feisty," One of them remarks. "So unladylike." His comment makes me freeze. Does he know? Did he realize who I am? But then I realize I'm being paranoid as disgust shoots through me at his next words.

"I like her."

My eyes narrow at the two men. How do I take care of them without risking my cover? Their eyes are trailing shamelessly down my figure, and I flinch back as one of them tries to touch me.

"Don't touch me," I gasp again, but they don't listen. They ignore me, and surround me on both sides. Oh Skies. "Stop, or I'll scream." I threaten weakly as my back presses against the stone cold wall.

Fear envelopes my mind as I shrink down under their hungry gazes.

So I scream.

It only lasts a millisecond before a hand smashes into my mouth, shutting me up immediately. My head slams terribly hard into the wall, and dizziness overtakes me in a rapid blaze of painful fire.

Don't blow your cover. Don't endanger the mission. Don't be the reason that V dies.

"Damn, didn't think she'd scream." One bends down so our eyes level. Maybe he sees something in my eyes, a spark of rebellion or a rising hatred, because he slaps me so hard my head snaps violently to the side.

"Don't do that again, unless you want to taste pain a hundred times worse than that." His hand wraps around my thin neck, tightening every second until my hands start to tremble from the lack of air.

I can't breathe. I can't..

Then a knife flies out of nowhere, cleanly slicing through the man's hand.

What a perfect throw.

Blood spatters on my face and neck, shading my hair the color of scarlet. I barely notice through the haze as another knife flies past me to bury itself in the man's neck, passing through and driving into the second one's head.

They're both dead in a moment, their lives taken away, just like that. "Kir." V reaches my shaking figure in a second, his arms around me to calm me down. As he lifts me up, I notice his eyes are taut with anger and fury.

Anger at the men for touching me.

Rage that he was too late.

Fury that I disobeyed him.

When I touch my face and my fingers come off dripping thick, viscous red, I gasp. But I convince myself I wasn't the one to take their lives. They brought it upon themselves.

V glances at me and watches me as I fight my invisible battle against my fear. When my hyperventilating calms gradually, he nods approval at me.

"Good girl."

With a swift motion, he lowers me down onto the bed. His eyes are dark with anger as his eyes analyze the damages on my face and neck, creating images of what had happened to me based upon those wounds.

"No." I quickly say. "It's not as bad as it looks.." He cuts me off with a single glare.

"Don't make excuses that both of us don't believe, Kirelei Cross."