21| U N D O I N G

———————————
Eradicate
Chapter Twenty-one
(Pilots) lol
———————————

———————————EradicateChapter Twenty-one(Pilots) lol———————————

Hearts can beat at different rates depending on many factors. Whether it be your mood or the strenuous activity you've had to endure or merely still are. My heart has only rapidly pumped from running for my life and the fear of losing my life. Yet now it's painting a different story for its erratic beating. Not just the fear of losing someone close to you but the reality that it's truly occurred.

Harper.

My beloved sister who was brave throughout every Eradication, fear not once shinning in her brown eyes only determination. She was willing to sacrifice her values to survive. To kill if need be. As much as I hated the idea I'm almost glad she had the strength and resolve to do what ever it takes to survive this 'celebration'. Yet as those thoughts come flooding in I believe it was also what caused her death. Seeking out the danger, not just defending yourself but becoming the predator and taking out the so called prey.

"Elora, I'm so sorry," Harry mumbles appearing through the door way to his bedroom.

My eyes are puffy and completely red, I can't stop crying and seeing him here to comfort me brings on another onslaught of tears. Hiccuping I watch as he silently closes the wooden barrier, sighing he peers down at the floor. I wasn't feeling numb and yet I wasn't feeling weak. I'm experiencing my second heartbreak over the loss of a family member. Tearing my heart into three. My mother, my sister and my own beating heart trying to fight for me.

Meeting Harry's gorgeous green eyes I shakily ask the one question I could think of. "Why didn't you tell me on the rooftop Harry? You knew then didn't you?"

Casting his eyes down he sighs, "I couldn't hurt you even more than I already have. I didn't know how'd you react up there, whether you would've jumped, I— I'm sorry love. I was terrified and that's selfish of me to say but I can't lose you Elora," he mumbles now pulling me into a hug.

I didn't even hear his footsteps as I was too focused on the floor. His chin snuggly lays to rest on the top of my head as I succumb to his warmth, the rhythm of his heart beat matching my erratic one. I know he's scared as much as I am, and I know deep down I'm falling for him, however, I'm falling into the dark depths of despair. I can only hope he can pull me out and looking up through teary stained eyes I believe he just might be my saving grace. As long as my heart beats for him, and hopefully my father.

—§—

Silver glimmers remind me of the start of the Eradication in the small local coffee shop. The aroma of coffee beans and the salt that shifted under my fingertips on the cool table sending a warmth of familiarity throughout. The small child eating her chocolate cake and her mother silently holding back the tears that they have to survive another Eradication together. I hope they are both well.