Chapter 13 - The New Consort Entering the Palace

---

Xue Houyang invited Teng Shang for a drink but didn't set a banquet in one of the tent. Instead, he set up a fire in an open field, put a small table next to it topped with a few simple small-dishes and several large jars of wine.

The table was very low, but Xue Houyang didn't let people to bring him some chairs, he just sat down there on the ground next to the table. Teng Shang might look like a literati but he wasn't the unreasonable type. After all, he was a man grown on a battlefield and had shed many of his enemies' blood. Teng Shang also followed Xue Houyang and sat down on the ground.

Xue Houyang pulled the seal off a wine jar and filled two wine cups to the brim, then said, "Tomorrow, we're already going to enter the capital city, I haven't even arrange a more hearty welcome. I hope Minister Shang doesn't blame me."

"How would I blame you?" Teng Shang smiled as he took one of the cup and drink the wine in one gulp, "Someone who offers to have a farewell drink before my execution can be considered a special friend. How could I blame you?"

[T/N : Burrnn! This one has a sharp mouth!]

Xue Houyang stilled for a moment, then filled Teng Shang's cup again before saying, "I see you already know what this wine is for."

"I've always been one who know myself. Having Marquis Wannian biding me farewell, now my whole life has been worth it." Teng Shang said calmly.

It was mid-autumn, a few days before the 15th day of 8th month. The weather was getting colder. There was no forest in this part of capital city's outskirts; the blowing wind brought a thick dust with it and made the fire dance frantically. There was a sense of desolation in the night.

[T/N : The 15th day of the 8th month lunar calendar is the day of mid-autumn festival or harvest festival.]

Teng Shang wasn't a person who make a fuss over small inconveniences; he didn't mind the dust clinging to his clothes.

Xue Houyang watched the other man for a long time, until Teng Shang noticed and looked down to examine his clothes. Teng Shang said, "Is there something wrong with me?"

"No... It's not that." Xue Houyang drew back his gaze.

The two men drank three more rounds of wine and had started to get a little drunk. The cold weather was still bearable, and the wine warm them up.

Suddenly, Xue Houyang said, "Minister Shang, do you remember, many years ago... Teng Wang was organizing a hunting activity, and you saved a little child from being accused as an assassin."

Teng Shang didn't immediately answered; it was clear he didn't really remember. But after thinking for a long time, he thought he had an impression of the accident. Smiling, he said, "How does Lord Marquis know about that? Do you perhaps have a thousand eyes? It's been a long time ago... At that time, the previous Teng Wang was still alive. He'd mistakenly accused a little child as an assassin, he'd been ready to have the child executed. But I had such a soft heart..."

"You shouldn't have had such a soft heart."

Hearing Xue Houyang said that in a cold voice, Teng Shang suspected he'd had too much drink. His head was throbbing and his mind was sluggish. He said, "Why do you say that?"

Xue Houyang stared at the other man, seemingly hesitating. In the end, he only said, "Your kindness has costed the death of many of your soldiers. I'm just afraid you'll regret it."

Teng Shang stared; his sight was blurry because of the wine. After staring at Marquis Wannian for a long time, an answer slowly came to his mind, making an uncomfortable feeling spread across his heart. His voice was hoarse as he said, "Why?"