Chapter 20 - The Wedding

---

On the day of Teng Shang and Xue Houyang's wedding, Xue Junliang's messanger bearing the news of Teng Shang's betrothal arrived at Teng Country. By this time, the news could be considered late; it was all said and done.

At first, Teng Wang thought Xue Junliang's messenger came to bring Teng Yun's ashes, because he knew it was impossible for Teng Shang to be sent back here. But even in his dreams, Teng Wang would never have expected Xue Country's messanger came to offer their congratulations.

It wasn't only Teng Wang; all the court officials present were shocked, too. If Teng Shang was marrying a Xue Country's Princess, then it would be understandable. But currently, in Xue Country there was no princesses nor grand princesses.

Teng Shang was actually the one to be the wife?

The messenger offered congratulations on Teng Shang's betrothal, but in fact, it was more like a warning. Teng Wang didn't get angry over it. After all, Teng was a country in name only. Moreover, Teng Wang had a daughter clutched in Xue Junliang's hands; officially she was now an imperial consort, but Teng Wang knew she was held as a hostage.

---

Xue Houyang drowned himself in alcohol. He'd drunk a lot of wine as if stalling going back to his room. Some of the court officials thought Xue Houyang didn't want to see his new wife, which was understandable given the new wife was a man. But some them actually thought Xue Houyang was lucky. This marriage was made happen as a prove of Xue Houyang's authority.

Based on these two reasons, people after people would approach Xue Houyang to offer him a toast.

In the end, Xue Houyang was dragged back to his room.

When they opened the door, they saw Teng Shang sitting on the bed, wearing a groom's wedding attire. They had thought Teng Shang would wear a bridal veil, but by the way Teng Shang looked, people who didn't know would think Teng Shang was the groom instead; a very handsome groom at that.

Everyone laughed and teased merrily but no one dared staying there too long. This part of a wedding was the awkward part. People had no idea how the wedding night would proceed from here, but they thought better to not get involved. Eventually, they all went out and closed the door behind them.

Xue Houyang staggered his way to the bed, then stood with a hand leaning on it. Touching one of the dates scattered on the bed, he sobered a little. He turned his head, his eyes searching for Teng Shang.

[T/N : On a wedding, the friends and family will spread some red dates on the new couple'd bed, to express 'good luck and hurry have babies'. Thanks, Soo-Chu! XD. Link will be added.]

As soon as he laid his gaze on Teng Shang, he took it back so fast he swayed on his feet.

Xue Houyang cleared his throat, then said, "It's already late. Minister Shang, you should rest. I... I'll sleep in the guest room."

He turned to go but before he opened the door, he was stopped by Teng Shang saying, "I know Lord Marquis sleeping in the guest room out of consideration for me, but other people wouldn't think so. They'll think it's inappropriate."

Xue Houyang paused. Maybe he wasn't so sober after all, his reactions were sluggish. Nodding his head, he said, "You're right... I didn't think about that. Then I'll sleep on the floor."

Xue Houyang was so honest, making Teng Shang smiled and said, "Lord Marquis, you seem to be quite drunk, how come you want to sleep on the floor? It'll be troublesome if you catch a cold."

Xue Houyang stared at that smile and suddenly felt his throat tightened. Swallowing to relieve his dry throat, he turned his gaze away.

Teng Shang said, "This bed is big enough for two men, we can sleep together. But if you're suspicious of me, it's okay."