Chapter 43 - Marquis Tengnan

---

The next day, Xue Houyang looked bright and refreshed. Seeing this, Xue Junliang said, "Looks like Houyang's mood is so good today. Did those three beautiful girls serve you well?"

Xue Houyang's initial happiness was gone instantly when he heard Xue Junliang mentioned the three beautiful girls. He said, "Your Majesty, please don't tease me. Currently, I'm not in the mood for jokes."

Xue Junliang smiled and said, "Seeing that you're so happy, wasn't it because of me? Giving those three girls to you actually became the bridge that enabled you and Teng Shang to connect."

Xue Houyang was half grinning happily, half embarrassed. Xue Junliang saw this and sighed, "Houyang, please remember that your mind is still not as deep and complicated as Teng Shang's. I know that whatever I say would be of no use, but I only hope Teng Shang could treat you sincerely."

Hearing this, Xue Houyang took a deep breath in relief. He opened his mouth to say thanks, but Xue Junliang was faster, "But still, Marquis Wannian could not be without an heir."

"Your Majesty..."

Xue Junliang raised a hand to stop him, "No objection. It's also for your own good. If not because I cared about your feelings, today there would have been many wives piled up on you residence."

Xue Junliang then paused, thinking he should open a new topic. He knew he could not push Xue Houyang too hard. He then said, "Teng Xin is still in prison. When you have time, go to the prison and see him. Teng Shang would not be able to persuade him to surrender to us. You try, promise him with a marquis title if necessary. But if he still refuses..."

Xue Junliang didn't finish the sentence, but Xue Houyang was clear about what he meant.

Xue Houyang said, "If it's about persuading people to surrender, Chen-di thinks it would be better if Your Majesty asks Her Majesty the Empress. Her Majesty is very wise; surely she knows what to do."

Xue Junliang smiled and said, "What do you think? You think I haven't asked her? I have, but I was rejected."

"Huh... Your Majesty was rejected..." Xue Houyang had no idea how Xue Wang could still be smiling so amiably when he was rejected by someone. Very strange, indeed.

Xue Houyang added, "But... But Chen-di doesn't know what to say to Teng Xin. If it's regarding war and military affair, Chen-di is more capable..."

Xue Junliang could not think of anyone else to go persuade Teng Xin. At this time, Chen Yi came forward to recommend himself, promising Teng Xin would definitely surrender to Xue Wang.

Chen Yi hadn't yet gone for two shichen when he came back with the result. Teng Xin was willing to surrender, even bringing his soldiers to surrender to Xue Wang, too. He didn't even need to be given the title marquis. Teng Xin's only request was that Xue Wang didn't execute his subordinates, and treated his soldiers kindly.

Xue Junliang asked how Chen Yi persuaded him. Chen Yi smiled, "This is very simple. Teng Xin is a soldier at heart. If he could not be a soldier, he was better off dead. For a desperate soldier, it's best to give him hope. Da Wang is a lot better than Teng Wang, Teng Xin considered it was better to follow Your Majesty than to follow Teng Wang. If Da Wang could give him a slightly big responsibility to show that Da Wang could trust him, this lowly subject could guarantee Teng Xin will become a loyal subordinate."

Xue Junliang sent Xue Houyang to the prison to let Teng Xin out. Then he promoted Teng Xin as a general leading the soldiers guarding the Imperial Palace. The soldiers under Teng Xin would not be detained, instead were allowed to continue follow Teng Xin. Teng Xin and his soldiers all were stationed at the army camp just outside the capital city's wall as a supplementary troop.