Chapter 16 - Old Acquaintance

---

Xue Houyang's head jerked up to stare at Xue Junliang; his expression grave. Suddenly he dropped down on his knees.

Xue Junliang was a bit surprised by Xue Houyang's earnestness, but still he good-naturedly laughed, "Houyang, what is it? Why suddenly so courteous?"

Xue Houyang lowered his head and said with hesitation, "Your Majesty doesn't know who that person is. If you know, you will surely condemn me of sin."

"Will I?" Xue Junliang smiled and pulled Xue Houyang to stand, "How about you tell me first, then I'll decide whether you're guilty or not?"

Xue Houyang didn't get up, didn't even raised his head. Just now when he heard Xue Wang's willingness to bestow him a marriage, his heart was soaring in joy. If he and Teng Shang were to marry, Teng Shang would not have to die. But Xue Houyang wasn't sure if Teng Shang would accept him.

Surely no man would be willing to marry another man. Although it was common for royalties and noblemen to have secret male lovers, but there never was a male wife because it was still considered a big taboo. Moreover, the other person was a minister from Teng Country, a younger brother of Teng Wang.

If Xue Junliang knew that it was Teng Shang they'd been talking about, Xue Houyang was very sure he'd take back his words.

Knowing it was all impossible, Xue Houyang was still clutching a glimmer of hope. Finally he said, "Houyang doesn't dare to get up... Chen-di doesn't deserve to ask anything from Your Majesty. Also, Chen-di doesn't think that person will return my feelings."

Xue Junliang's smile was still good-natured and amiable, "Which family's young lady is it? What kind of person doesn't find Xue Junliang's younger brother a good match?"

"Not a young lady..." Xue Houyang worried his lips, then decidedly added, "It's Teng Shang."

"Teng Shang..."

Xue Junliang repeated the name several times but didn't say anything else for a long time. In the end, Xue Houyang kowtowed and said, "Chen-di deserves a death sentence! Your Majesty, please punish me!"

"What death?" Xue Junliang reached out and pulled the other person to stand, "Though you went to battle for many years, I can still understand what kind of person you are. Seeing you braving yourself to say this to me, I know your feeling for that person must be real and deep..."

Xue Houyang was shaken, never could have he thought that Xue Wang wouldn't punish him. Yet he didn't dare looking up.

Xue Junliang said, "And how does Teng Shang feel? Doesn't he return your feelings? Also what was it that you did to him that made you feel sorry?" Xue Junliang laughed teasingly.

Embarrassment written all over Xue Houyang's face. Scratching his head again, he said, "Your Majesty... Let's not talk about it anymore."

"Not talking about it anymore? Shame then, because originally I wanted to say that if Teng Shang was willing, I'd immediately send someone to Teng Wang informing him of Teng Shang's betrothal."

"Really?!" Xue Houyang looked up, eyes widened.

Xue Junliang's heart warmed. For so many years, he'd rarely seen his younger brother showing emotions. That time when Little Houyang was still a boy with a violent temper seemed so long ago. What trick did Teng Shang have, that he could change Marquis Wannian's inflexible character?

Xue Junliang let out a sigh, then smiled, "I give you my words as a king... But I have to say in advance, whether Teng Shang agrees or not, it all depends on yourself."