Chapter 30 - Ancestor Worship Ceremony

---

When Teng Shang went out of the tea house, he saw Xue Houyang standing at the side of the street holding his horse's reigns.

Xue Houyang also saw him and called out, "Are you going home, or do you still want to have a walk?"

Xue Houyang purposefully waited here for Teng Shang, showing that he knew Teng Shang had gone for tea with Xue Yu. But he didn't say anything, and Teng Shang didn't comment of his knowing either.

Teng Shang said, "Would you like to have a walk with me?"

The two men walked along the market and continued along the small river. The sky was promising to send snow, the water surface was covered in a thin layer of ice.

The two men was silent the whole time, until Teng Shang opened with a laugh, "You don't have to treat me so cautiously, or is it because I've saved you once? Well, you've saved me twice already."

Xue Houyang opened his mouth to say something, but in the end he didn't say it.

Teng Shang said, "You're treating me like this makes me feel cautious, too. This way, I cannot repay your kindness because I'm not sure I'm allowed to say things openly. There are so many things I want to mention to you, but..."

Teng Shang paused. He stopped walking and turned towards the river before whispering, "Lord Marquis, be careful of Xue Yu."

"What did he say to you?" Xue Houyang unconsciously stepped forward, wanting to hold Teng Shang's arm, but then he took back his own hand.

Teng Shang smiled, "Xue Yu is not a simple man. But I don't think I can do anything about him... I can only warn you, but I don't know if Lord Marquis wants to listen."

Xue Houyang said, "You can tell me."

"Lord Marquis is favored by Xue Wang, but there is a saying that accompanying a king is like accompanying a tiger. If I'm not mistaken, His Majesty wants to take over Xue Yu's military power. Wanting to seize other people's troops usually means wanting to incorporate those troops into one's own power. This is like Xue Wang's signal... After dealing with Xue Yu, I'm afraid it won't be long before it's your turn."

Teng Shang noticed Xue Houyang's expression changed, and added, "I know you won't like this, but thank you for listening anyway. I'm not saying this to create a rift between you and Xue Wang, it's just a heartfelt concern."

Xue Houyang thought for a moment, then unhurriedly said, "I understand... Other people might think Minister Shang is good at manipulating people's mind, but Houyang will never forget Minister Shang's kindness in saving my life that year."

Teng Shang glanced at Xue Houyang and smiled, "Lord Marquis, you're still thinking you're owing me for saving you? You've already repaid it."

Xue Houyang stared intently at Teng Shang's smiling face, seemingly infatuated. Then his face heated up and he coughed, "That time... That time happened because of Houyang's own fault, I'll be happy if we won't ever mention it again."

Xue Houyang was a man used to live in battlefield, but when it came to talking about feelings, he was too honest and straightforward; very unlike Xue Junliang who had many wives and was an expert in flirting. This made Teng Shang inwardly snorted in amusement.

Teng Shang didn't insist they discuss the matter further, instead said, "Let's go back, it's too cold outside."

---

Jiao Shui was hugging Teng Yun's ankles and crying miserably, "Empress, this is all Jiao Shui's fault. Jiao Shui was threatened by Teng-fei into helping her to harm you... This servant cannot be forgiven!"