Chapter 31 - Wanting The Same Thing

---

Xue Yu's heart dropped to the ground, but somehow he wasn't surprised Xue Junliang had taken to address his show of power. He thought if he wanted to show his power off in front of Xue Junliang, he'd have to work harder. Xue Junliang was a king, and he himself was just a subordinate; he would always be inferior to Xue Junliang and could only force a smile and swallow his anger.

Xue Yu knelt back down and said, "Chen-di wouldn't dare. Your Majesty, please don't be angry. Chen-di is just too used to spend moderately and doesn't like to be extravagant, because Chen-di always bears in mind Your Majesty's generosity. That's why Chen-di only takes a thousand soldiers. Chen-di never thinks to oppose Your Majesty."

Xue Junliang said, "What's wrong with you today? You say don't be angry, but Gu isn't angry. Gu is just asking... But hearing you being loyal, never wanting to oppose me, Gu is really moved."

Xue Junliang then turned around to face all other officials present before saying, "It just so happens that we're here standing on front of the Late King's mausoleum. Let's all vow, in the name of our ancestors, that if we ever even think about rebelling, may the heaven and earth combine to destroy us, may our hearts be pierced with a thousand arrows and may we die in agony."

Xue Yu shivered, his delicate face turned a bit pale. Everyone else didn't dare to speak either, holding their breath, fearing His Majesty's strange mood befell upon themselves. A king's might really was powerful; one moment he could be warmly and amiably inquiring about someone's well-being, the next moment he could force people to fall on their knees and vow in front of the ancestors.

The snow was getting heavier, leaving a thin layer of it on the ground. Still kneeling, Xue Yu declared his vows and kowtowed repeatedly for a few times.

Standing at the side with a smile on his face, Xue Junliang added to Xue Yu, "Actually, Gu believes in you, after all, you are Gu's younger brother. But you haven't come back to the capital city for years, it is inevitable there are some rumors and slanders among the Imperial Court officials about you. As the saying goes, stand straight and never mind if the shadow inclines. Gu making you vow in front of the Late King's mausoleum is to stop those rumors once and for all. Hope you understand Gu's intention."

[T/N : Stand straight and never mind if the shadow inclines (身正不怕影子斜, shēn zhèng bùpà yǐngzi xié) : a man of moral integrity does not fear any slanderous attack.]

Xue Yu ground his teeth and forced a smile, saying, "Yes, Chen-di understands. Thank you for Your Majesty's benevolence."

Xue Junliang talked some more time, mentioning about this and that nonsense; making all the court officials tense and uneasy. If Xue Wang's goal was to frighten the tiger by shaking the mountain, he succeeded.

[T/N : Frighten the tiger by shaking the mountain (敲山震虎, qiāo shān zhèn hǔ) literary means a deliberate show of strength as a warning.]

In the evening, Xue Junliang held a banquet. Xue Junliang knew it was good that he had frightened the tiger, but he should not force the tiger to feel overly anxious. A tiger was still a tiger, only after he'd removed all of the tiger's teeth and claws was it safe to start grabbing the tiger, otherwise he could injure his own hands.

The entire time they had dinner, Xue Junliang praised Xue Yu time and time again, saying he'd like to learn from Xue Yu as he was hard-working but not extravagant. He complained there were too much food on his table; this was excessive, he only ate a few dishes then ordered the rest to be rewarded to the officials so the food would not go to waste.