Chapter 17 - Son

Chapter 17 - Son  

---

When Teng Shang came to, he heard someone laughing outside the door, "Lord Marquis, why are you standing outside and not going in?"

Xue Houyang's voice was heard replying, "I've only come back home for some time, you think you can poke fun at your master?"

The first voice was still laughing, "This slave doesn't dare! I'm just tired of watching you acting so nervous. This is your residence, your own territory. You don't have to pace aimlessly. If you want to see him, just go in already."

Having been seen through, Xue Houyang was a bit embarrassed. Finally he forced his feet through the door.

Bypassing the separating screen, his gaze immediately collided with Teng Shang's.

Xue Houyang was startled. Scratching his nose, he coughed once to clear his throat before saying, "Minister Shang has woken up."

Teng Shang didn't say anything for a moment. His throat felt raw. He opened his mouth to say something but no voice came out.

Xue Houyang was looking elsewhere, so of course he didn't notice. He took it that Teng Shang said nothing out of hate to himself. The servant girl who came in behind Xue Houyang noticed and quickly poured tea into a cup which she then placed into Xue Houyang's hand. Then she went out the door giggling.

Being laughed at, Xue Houyang felt even more embarrassed until his face was bright red. He steeled himself to finally went over to the bed, lifted Teng Shang and let him lean against himself and handed him the cup.

Teng Shang weakly took the offered cup. He barely held it before his hand shook. Luckily, Xue Houyang had quick reflex; when he caught the cup, it was still more than half-full.

Xue Houyang's other hand immediately tried to wipe the spilled tea. He was about to wipe Teng Shang's clothes before he retracted it; afraid the other person would misunderstand he wanted to take advantage, after what he did last night.

At this reaction, Teng Shang suddenly laughed.

Xue Houyang stared blankly,  uncomprehending, before he took back his gaze. He held the cup to Teng Shang's lips while avoiding touching Teng Shang anywhere else.

Teng Shang drank the tea gratefully, then said, "Thank you."

Xue Houyang put down the empty cup on the table and then shifted to put a little distance from Teng Shang. He was hesitating for a while before finally saying, "What are Minister Shang's plans now?"

Teng Shang lay back on the bed and closed his eyes. He said, "What is it that Lord Marquis wants to say?"

"You have showed kindness to Houyang, Houyang never intended to humiliate you."

Xue Houyang said cautiously, "Minister Shang must have understood the situation. With the way Teng Wang treats you, it's plain to see you cannot go back to Teng Country... Yesterday, when I went to the Palace, His Majesty had promised me he'd spare your life, but..."

"But what? Nothing in this world is worse than having your own family doubting you, and I've made bad plans before. Lord Marquis mustn't hesitate to tell me."

Xue Houyang said, "But you... have to agree to marry into my house."

Teng Shang immediately opened his eyes and turned his head to look at Xue Houyang, but the later was facing away from him, as if avoiding his eyes. Then Teng Shang laughed lightly before saying in a low voice, "I agree. Thank you, Lord Marquis for your kindness..."