Chapter 19 - Meeting

Xue Junliang was holding Teng Yun's hand all the time, making Teng Yun feel uncomfortable. From time to time, he tried to pry his hand away but Xue Junliang was completely unaware. Xue Junliang might be too focused on showering his Empress with tenderness.

When it was time for dinner, he even personally put dishes onto Teng Yun's plate. Xiu Yao watched this scene feeling overwhelmingly grateful for her mistress' good fortune. After dinner, Xiu Yao was sent to summon the royal physician.

The scabs on Teng Yun's face had started to fell off, revealing the pink and tender skin underneath, but the drying scabs were itchy and the skin around them were red and dry. Teng Yun himself wasn't bothered, but Xue Junliang looked at the scabs closely and ordered the physician to prescribe an ointment.

The royal physician promised repeatedly that after all the scabs fell off, there would be no traces left. Only after hearing that, Xue Junliang allowed the physician left.

Xue Junliang was helping applying the ointment on Teng Yun when he suddenly smiled, "Aifei is so fragrant."

Teng Yun thought the other person must be kidding him, so he didn't respond other than stating, "It's the scent of the ointment."

Xue Junliang sniffed the ointment jar and shook his head, "It's Aifei that smelt pleasant, not the ointment."

Then he held Teng Yun in his embrace before gently kissing his forehead.

The kiss was warm on Teng Yun's skin. It was brief but left Teng Yun's heart beating like drum. This simple kiss somehow felt even more terrible than time Xue Junliang kissed him passionately. Frowning deeply, Teng Yun leaned back to put some distance between them.

[T/N : Terrible or terrible? *eyebrows wiggle wiggle*]

Xue Junliang played innocent at Teng Yun's reaction and feigned a slight surprise, "Am I so heavy? Did I hurt you?"

Of course, Teng Yun couldn't say the true reason. He only pursed his lips and said, "I don't want to bother Your Majesty, I can apply the ointment myself."

This time Xue Junliang didn't protest, he gave the jar to Teng Yun then said, "It's already so late, I'll better go back. In a few days, Teng Shang will come to the Palace to pay you a formal visit. He's going to marry into the Xue family, Aifei as the Empress must give him some directions so as not to make him be a laughingstock by other people."

When Xue Junliang finally left, Teng Yun felt free to fret over Xue Houyang's intentions. Based on what Xue Wang had said, was it true that Xue Houyang had feelings towards Teng Shang?

As far as Teng Yun knew, there had never been actual interactions between Teng Shang and Marquis Wannian, nor there direct confrontation on the battlefield. At the time Xue Houyang was appointed as a military general, Teng Shang had already been called back to the capital city by Teng Wang. A short time later, over a trivial matter, Teng Wang had stripped Teng Shang off his military power and restricted him against stepping a foot outside the capital city gate. Teng Shang and Marquis Wannian had never met each other, let alone having an intimate relationship.

Regarding Teng Shang agreeing to marry Xue Houyang, after thinking about it for some time, Teng Yun admitted he could somewhat understand Teng Shang's decision. Teng Shang was fiercely loyal to Teng Country and certainly would not let himself die so soon.

In fact, as long as he was permitted by Xue Junliang, Xue Houyang could do anything as he pleased and was invincible. His intentions in marrying Teng Shang could have been made under Teng Shang's influence.