Chapter 39 - Spending The Night Outside

---

Teng Yun blinked, never expecting Xue Junliang would say that, but he knew Xue Junliang was deliberately teasing him.

Xue Junliang watched as the Empress seemed blanked for a moment before she replied with a winning smile, "Since Da Wang doesn't want to recruit the bandits, then sending soldiers to stop them is one thing you can do. But if you ask me, you'll have to send eighty to a hundred thousand soldiers to the suburb to successfully apprehend the bandits and therefore making sure the young ladies are able to participate in the Selection."

Hearing this, Xue Junliang couldn't even stop himself laughing out loud. Even Jiang Yu, who was standing to the side, laughed.

Xue Junliang cleared his throat and tried to look serious, "Jiang Yu, what are you laughing at?"

Jiang Yu said, "Da Wang, this old servant is laughing because Her Majesty is very skilled and virtuous, and has intelligence that surpassed others."

Hearing Jiang Yu's flattering words, Xue Junliang was mollified. He turned back to the Empress and said, "Sending eighty to a hundred thousand soldiers is not a problem, but it does seem a bit too many. So maybe I just have to listen to your request, then."

Teng Yun paused for a moment before saying, "After recruiting these three generals, can you give them to Chen-qie?"

"Oh?" Xue Junliang asked, "Are you planning to go to war? Are you collecting military powers now?"

"Not necessarily for war, it's just that these three He brothers are extraordinarily talented people. They would rather let go of their respectable status and choose to be bandits than to accept a new master, it means that they would not be easy to recruit. I am certain I can make them loyal and obedient."

"Then..." Xue Junliang said with a smile, "If they are really that talented and they can be made loyal to you, I guess I can allow it."

"Your Majesty has given your words, you shall not break it."

"That is of course."

Teng Yun smiled, "Then may I ask another thing? I need to borrow fifty soldiers."

Xue Junliang said, "Fifty? Looks like you really have it all planned."

Xue Junliang immediately decreed that as long as it was still within the capital city's territory, the Empress could assign a team of soldiers as she pleased. Since Teng Yun had boldly requested fifty people, he would only mobilize fifty people.

Teng Yun then hand-picked fifty Imperial Guards. These Imperial Guards were stationed to guard inside and around the Imperial City, their ability wasn't inadequate. And because they had entered the Imperial Palace to train as guards since very young, they willingly obeyed Her Majesty's orders.

Xue Junliang didn't even try to interfere and let the Empress arrange everything herself. He stood silently to the side and watched Teng Yun's every move.

After picking the fifty guards, Teng Yun assigned ten of them to disguise themselves as wealthy merchants that were about to enter the capital city. These ten were to atrack the bandits' attention.

Teng Yun assigned another ten guards to sneak up into the mountains. When the three He brothers came down from the mountain to rob people, the ten guards secretly entered the bandits' huts and spilled flammable oil on their kitchens and firewood storage.

The He brothers robbed a group of wealthy merchants but were unknowingly putting themselves into a trap. The Imperial Guards, who were hiding and waiting, immediately surrounded the bandits. When the bandits successfully broke the circle surrounding them, the merchants suddenly brandished weapons and turned to attack the bandits. The bandits were outnumbered by the guards and soon were losing.