Chapter 14 - Kiss

---

The new consort lived next door, but because she wasn't yet married, she wasn't allowed to walk around randomly, so she sent a maidservant closest to her to pay respect to the Empress.

Teng Yun recognized this maidservant from when he still lived in Teng Country. She was very favored because of her cleverness. Not only did she become Teng Qianyi's favorite, Teng Wang even praised her, saying she was exceptionally intelligent. If not for Teng Qianyi didn't like being served by a stranger, Teng Yun reckoned this palace maid would've left her branch and turned into a phoenix.

Seeing her in this place and time, Teng Yun didn't know what to think of her.

On the 15th day of 8th month, Xue Junliang was very busy organizing the Mid-Autumn Festival. He was also busy welcoming Teng Country Princess. Only then Teng Yun felt he could have a leisure day without anyone disturbing him.

But he didn't expect the Crown Prince, Xue Pei to come instead.

Xue Pei entered Yunfeng Palace, waited as Teng Yun finished what he was writing, before bombarding Teng Yun with questions regarding military tactics.

Teng Yun actually admired the Crown Prince's wisdom and intelligence, but the Crown Prince would always be Xue Junliang's son, so Teng Yun didn't make his appreciation known. Also, he still had reluctance to teach the Crown Prince, because what if the Crown Prince used what he'd learn to attack Teng Yun's own country?

The Little Crown Prince, of course, couldn't know what was in Teng Yun's mind. No matter how clever he was, Xue Pei was still eight years old; not yet an adult.

Xue Pei saw the other person was unenthusiastic for their study session, so he said, "Today when practicing riding and archery, my mentor brought an amazing horse; said it was a rare breed. Do you want to see it, Mother?"

Teng Yun really loved horses, but he'd only today had a leisure day, so he wasn't that interested. Xue Pei thought for a moment, then asked again, "I see the wounds on Mother's face have got better, does the medicine prescribed by the royal physician work?"

Teng Yun saw the child talking cautiously; talking about one thing then another. He couldn't help but smile, "What is it that you're trying to say?"

Having been exposed, Xue Pei was a bit embarrassed, but he trudged on, "I heard Xiu Yao said that Mother seemed unhappy these days... For a Da Wang, taking a new consort is something as mundane as having a meal. This son asks Mother, please don't be upset over it."

Teng Yun blanked for a second, then immediately understood. The Little Crown Prince thought the Empress had been unhappy because Xue Junliang's new consort. Xue Pei's train of thought was so absurd, yet Teng Yun was unable to correct him.

Having fulfilled his purpose of cheering his mother up, Xue Pei left the Empress' palace relieved and happy.

Xiu Yao smiled, "It seems like you and the Crown Prince have grown quite close."

---

Xue Junliang and Teng Qianyi had a grand wedding ceremony which carried on until the evening.

It was already dark and Teng Yun was having dinner when he heard a racket outside. He knew a wedding was a happy occasion, but he didn't think it should be this noisy.

Xiu Yao threw open the door in her rush to get in. In a panicked voice, she said, "Empress! Da Wang is coming here!"

"What?"

Teng Yun, who was normally a level-headed person, was so surprised he didn't react for a some time. His surprise was justified, as Da Wang should be sharing nuptial cups of wine with his newly-married consort at said consort's bridal chamber. Why would he run away here?