Ch-23 A GIRL'S GRANDFATHER

"Hannan main baat karne wala tha ye main family ka head hoon? Hoon ya nahi hoon? Hannan I was going to talk about. Am I the head of the family? I am or not?"

"Ji baba aap hi to hamari family ke head hain. Ofcourse baba you are the head of the family."

"Bata do? Tell me?" He taunted.

"Baba aap bhool gaye the hum yahan kis maqsad se aaye the islye humne... baba you've forgot why we've come here."

"To tumhe yaad dilana tha naa. So you should remind me."

"Lekin- but-"

"Bas chup raho, waise jamaal beta, hum tumse naa nahi sunenge. Now shut up, anyways, jamaal beta we will not hear no from you."

"Baba main aap ko naa kaise kar sakta hoon. How can I say no to you baba." My father answered.

I didn't know what was happening, everyone congratulating me and each other. Seconds later I know my mouth was stuffed with sweets.

When everyone's attention was diverted from me I leaned towards Hammad, "Usey pata hai...is bare mein? Does he know...about it?"

"kis baare mein? About what?" I give him a look that said 'Not now'. "Are you crazy? Tumhe lagta hai hum yahan tumhara rishta lekar aate agar agar wo nahi chahta. Do you think we'd be here if Haidar doesn't want us to."

I stood up and went out of the room, I felt eyes on my back but my head was blanked with so much thoughts.

I cleaned all the kitchen, and cleaned those things too that doesn't have to be cleaned.

"Haidar ne tumhe bataya nahi naa? Wo idiot hai. Dekho Hooriya, mujhe pata hai Jamal bhai tumse puchenge nahi lekin ye tumhara haq hai. Tum kya chahti ho batao mujhe? I presumed Haidar didn't tell you? he's an idiot. Look, Hooriya, I know your father won't bother to ask you but it's your right. What do you want? Tell me?"

"Ab kya farq padta hai mami? Does it matter now, aunty?" I smiled politely at her and walked out of the kitchen.

***

"Hooriya, ye dawaiyan deliver kar ke main seedha ghar chala jaunga. Tum khud ghar aa jaogi? I will go straight home after delivering medicines, come by yourself, will you?

I agreed and as soon as dad was out of our sight Haidar entered, my eyes widened and my heart started pounding, I lowered my head instantly and focused back on the work, pretended that I didn't saw him coming.

"Hooriya!" He reached my desk and breathed like he had run miles. I continued my work don't even bother to look up at him, "Hooriya please c'mon. Main tujhe batane wala tha lekin- Hooriya tu sun bhi rahi hai main kya keh raha hu. Hoori? I was going to tell you but-Hooriya? Are you even listening to me? Hoori?"

He waved his hand in front of my face. He then snatched my pen from my fingers but I pick another and continued my work, he then snatched the bill book from the table I grab another and continued again.

"Fine! You want to ignore me? Do it. Main easily give up karne walon mein se nahi hoon. I am not on those who give up easily."

After a while, when he got bored by sitting in front of me, ignored by me, he tried to start a conversation with Ahmad bhai. "Ahmad bhai, kya main invisible hoon? Am I invisible?"

"Umm, no. Mujhe lagta hai ke main invisible hoon. I think, I am invisible." Haidar made a weird face and ignored him.

"Hoori?" My brows furrowed at his sudden mischievous tone. I failed in stopping the urge of looking him in the eyes. His hand slowly moved to my direction and the warmth of his hand touched mine, "Maine suna, tujhe ring fit nahi hui to... I heard, the ring didn't fit you, so-" He showed me a ring I immediately put my hand away. "Main yahi afford kar sakta tha lekin mom tujhe expensive wali dengi. I could only afford this, but mom wil give you the expensive one."