Chapter 9

GW Hospital

Jack spent the day, refusing to leave Jackie's bedside. He returned to the White House that night and explained it all to Caroline and John. They of course, cried. They turned to Jack for comfort and he welcomed them with open arms. 

The whole country knew, but they kept Jackie's condition private until it would become clear, what would happen. Jack returned to the hospital the following morning and was saddened to find that Jackie still hadn't woken up. He sat on her bed and took her hand. He looked at her face. It was pure white. He had a small scratch which had turned into a scab from where a piece of glass, had got her. 

He smiled at her. "Well Jackie it's me. As soon as I heard the news, I flew back from Rome to see you" Jack stroked her hand. It comforted him. "I know you'd probably be shocked if you knew but I had to as I'd no doubt, wouldn't show my face in public" Jack laughed. He expected a laugh from Jackie but he didn't get anything. He told them about what Rome was like. "I wish you were there with me", he smiled. 

"You can speak Italian" he added. "The city is lovely. The Vatican, I don't know how to describe it. I know you've been there but this time, the sun shone, God knows how bright. I couldn't tell whether it was my imagination or just real" Jack thought back to what else he saw. "And all the Roman history, you would love it. And the view from my private rooms at the embassy. I got a view of the whole city". 

He felt his eyes filling up but he kept it together. "The sun rise" he sobbed. He let tears come out but only a few gentle ones. "I didn't know where the horizon was. It was gorgeous. You could paint it one day if I take you there. We could paint it together". Jack them sobbed heavily. He could be dreaming of things, that might never happen. 

"Oh God please wake up Jackie" Jack sobbed. He explained about how everyone was worried, even the people in Texas. How Queen Elizabeth, de Gaulle, the Pope, everyone was worried, not just everyone up in Massachusetts. "Please wake up. And I'll never leave you again. I'll be by your side forever" Jack sobbed. He fell onto her lap and sobbed. His emotions were uncontrollable.