Chapter 50

6pm

Kennedy suite

Carlyle Hotel

Jackie stood and looked out the window. The Press were gathered at the foot of the building. "God can't they leave us alone?" Jackie asked, before sitting on the sofa. Jack came in from the kitchen with a beer. "I feel the same kid" Jack put his arm around his wife. "I feel the same". 

They sat in silence before Jack asked:

"What are we doing in New York anyway?" Jack asked. 

"Well to get a break from Washington and to go shopping for birthdays and Christmas and Thanksgiving" Jackie said, before placing a kiss on his cheek. Jack blushed before nodding. "And I guess you'll want to go to Met and get antiques and-" Jack started. 

"Of course!" Jackie giggled before playfully hitting her husband. Jack laughed before they cuddled down to watch TV. "I'm off for a bath" Jackie sighed before heading into the bathroom. 

Jack decided to watch the news. 

This is CBS News. Our top story, are the Kennedys bad parents?

When this headline came on, Jack sat forward. He could feel his anger bubbling inside him. 

It's been a week since the birth of their twin children and it seems the First Couple are escaping to New York for two weeks. Are they tired already?

Jack then heard Jackie tip-toeing through into the living room. She had nothing but a towel wrapped around her. "What are you watching?" Jackie asked, quietly sitting beside her husband. "CBS says we're tired of the twins already and they're blaming us for coming to New York!" Jack roared. 

Jackie was shocked. "But we're not"

"EXACTLY!" Jack screeched, throwing his empty bottle into the bin. They jumped when they heard the smash. 

Jackie got to her feet and hugged her husband. "Jack, we're not bad parents" Jackie told him hugging him tightly. "I know but aren't we allowed a break?" Jack still had anger in his voice. Jackie shushed him. "Shhh Jack" she rubbed his arm. "We are allowed the break. After the presidency, we'll be alright" Jackie explained. Jack nodded. 

Those words were like heaven to him. After the presidency. That was only two years away, surely he could hold on.