Chapter 54

December 31st 

Yellow Oval Room

11pm

The kids were in bed and the First Couple lay cuddled up on the couch. "This year really has been wonderful" Jackie commented. Jack nodded. "It was hard to believe that a year ago in a matter of hours, we conceived the twins" Jack joked. Jackie laughed. "I know, it's went by really quick hasn't it?". Once again Jack nodded in agreement. 

"What has happened in the great year of 1966?" Jack asked. 

"Well..." Jackie started. "We had the twins. Birthdays, Christmas just a week ago. We nearly lost Teddy" Jackie's smile disappeared when she said those words. Jack looked away. "Don't remind me of that" Jack shook his head to clear his thoughts. Jackie sat up straight. "I won't". 

12pm

The First Couple stood on the Truman balcony and looked out onto the glimmering city. They heard the chants coming from the houses, the streets, the embassies, everywhere! "5! 4! 3! 2! 1!" They screamed in unison. Suddenly the bells in every church, every clock tower, everywhere in the country chimed midnight. 

Jack and Jackie lunged at each other and kissed passionately. When they broke apart, they looked into their eyes. "Happy new year kid" Jack smiled, Jackie replied with the same sentence except calling him 'bunny'. With Jack's hands on her hips, Jackie then turned to look out onto the city which was erupting with fireworks in every corner. 

Together the first couple then looked at each other and sang Auld Lang Syne. "Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind? Should auld acquaintance be forgot and auld lang syne?" They sang with what felt like the city as they sang the famous Scottish song. "For auld lang syne, my jo, for auld lang syne, we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang syne". 

During the song they kissed again. "I never knew you could sing" Jack joked, which made Jackie laugh. "Well, Robert Burns wrote such a beautiful song. I had to join in" Jackie smiled before kissing her husband again. They looked out onto the dazzling sparkles of the fireworks glittering above them.

They enjoyed 1966. It was a happy year for them with a few difficulties on the way but they put them behind them. It was into 1967. They hoped they could have a similar year like 1966. But the First Couple knew that was only possible if they kept faith and trust and love for each other going, like they had been since they tied the knot in 1953, all those years ago. 

1966 had been a good year.