T H R E E

"So, it's good? The kid isn't too much of a snot?"

You chuckle at your mother's antics, "Ezra is wonderful, and his father is very nice. A very gracious boss and pays well."

"That I know, you're not asking for rent money anymore."

"Mom! Jesus Christ, that's—"

"True."

"—okay, fine, it's totally true," you relent while grabbing Ezra's favorite cereal from the shelf before tossing it into the cart. You push forward though the isle, careful of a gaggle of school aged kids who obnoxiously barrel past you.

"And with that fancy new paycheck you can come visit, right?" Your mother asks softly.

Your chest pangs with guilt, it's been too long since you've seen your family, mostly because of travel expenses. Now the financial barrier isn't so bad, but that doesn't mean your schedule will allow it. Tom's film schedule is due to start within a few weeks and Ezra is finally getting used to you being a constant. The thought of flying home and spending less time with Tom, Tessa, and Ezra kind of makes you nervous, you've grown fond of them over the past few weeks.

"...(Y/N)? You still there?"

"What? Y-Yeah, yeah, I'm still here, sorry," you fumble and go to the bread aisle, "I'll have to check in and see if I'm able to get a few days off. I'll talk about it with Tom."

Your mother makes an appreciative hum, "good. Well, I'll let you go Hun, I love you."

"Love you too Mom, I'll talk to you later."

"Buh-bye."

You hang up the phone, letting out a deep sigh, and continue your shopping escapade. The days where it felt weird to handle Tom's card are gone; you shop for what the house needs but also keep it budget friendly because the thought of overcharging his card still terrifies you. By the time you start to head to the check out lane your phone starts to ring again.

Instead this time it's the FaceTime ring tone rather than the phone call tone.

Brows furrowed, you grab your phone and glance at the caller ID. Your curiosity fades quickly when you see Tom's name on the top of the screen, your finger swiping to accept. Once the call connects you see Ezra's chubby face way too close to the camera, Tom's voice echoing in the background.

"Ez, hold the phone away from your face," Tom says.

"(Y/N)!" Ezra cries out, and it's loud enough that you turn down your phone's volume.

"Hello you two, what can I do for you?" You ask with a soft smile.

"Nuggets!"

Tom's laugh cuts through the speaker, "is that how you ask for things bug?"

Ezra's face scrunches up in annoyance at his father's pestering, and this is the Ezra you're happy to know. The shy little boy is cute, but the sassy outgoing boy behind that is even better.

"I want nuggets, please," Ezra says.

"Oh really? Nuggets? Fish nuggets?" You tease.

Ezra giggles and shakes his head.

"Veggie nuggets?"

"No!" The boy protests.

"Do you mean...chicken nuggets?" You gasp.

"Yes! Chick'nuggets!" Ezra nods frantically.

Tom takes the phone then, holding and centering it for Ezra, "he really wanted to FaceTime you."