E I G H T E E N

The drive back home is quiet.

Mostly because Ezra is passed out from the festivities, letting out soft open-mouthed baby snores every so often. The sky is dark now, looming London clouds promising rain at some point overnight. The streetlights rhythmically flood the car with light every time you drive beneath one.

"(Y/N)—"

"Not now."

The car is quiet the rest of the drive.

Eventually you pull into the driveway, and you move to get out. Tom doesn't though, because you can see him still buckled with his head in his hands through the windshield. You sigh and move to get Ezra out of the car; moving slow when the boy makes a tired sound of protest, but he just rests his cheek on your shoulder and returns to sleeping.

Tessa hops out as well and you lead her inside the house.

You head straight for Ezra's room. With expert maneuvers you pull back the boy's bedding and lay him down. The boy's eyes flicker open for the briefest of seconds but only to make grabby hands at Sprinkles and Hulk. You hand him both plushies and the boy holds them tight and with a tiny yawn lets his head fall against his pillow.

With a fond smile on your face you pull the covers up and tuck Ezra in, moving his hair back and out of his eyes. He needs a haircut desperately. Then...then all the emotions you had held back at the Holland's house come bubbling to the surface all at once.

I love you, you sign to the sleeping child.

Then you flick on his nightlight before exiting the room, shutting the door as softly as you can. You march to your room...which has admittedly become less and less your room and more of a guest room. Most of your clothes are in Tom's dresser in his room, and yet you manage to find a pair of old leggings and an even older tank top. You slip into them, leaving the clothes you wore a moment ago on the floor, feeling too lazy to pick them up.

The only thing you go into Tom's room for is a hoodie and a pair of your cozy socks.

You leave the room as quickly as possible, walking back into the living room the same time Tom finally walks through the front door.

"Go change, I'll be on the couch when you're ready," you say calmly.

Tom nods, "alright."

He brushes past you, his arm grazing yours, and your stomach has the audacity to swoop. Fuck.

You round the plush grey couch and fall into the corner of its "L" shape, pulling the soft throw blanket over yourself. While Tom changes you mess around on your phone for a little, texting and snapping a few of your friends and of course Josephine too. A few emails pass the time as well, but before you know it Tom is back in the room and sitting beside you on the couch.

Not too far, but not close either.

"What," you breathe, putting space between every word, "the fuck was that?"

Tom tenses a little, and you opt to wait for him to speak on his own terms.

"I went to go get the stupid pumpkin," Tom starts...

..."Come on Tess!"

The walk is brisk, the biting October air is unforgiving, and it'll only get worse as time goes on. Tom sinks into his jacket and scarf a bit to try and keep warm.

By the time he makes it to the store a few blocks away, he is more than ready to go inside. In the store window reflection, he can see how red the tips of his ears and nose have gotten. He leads Tessa over to the outdoor selection of pumpkins and looks around for one that is a good carving size, but also something he can carry a few blocks.