T W E N T Y S I X

The three-minute alarm goes off, and your phone nearly buzzes off the bathroom counter. 

You're quick to turn it off and you breathe in deeply; deep enough for it to burn your lungs and make your chest hurt with the exhale. Your hands clutch the stick in your hands and nervousness bubbles in your stomach. 

It's too soon

"Come on," you steady yourself, "you're a big girl. Just look at it." 

You flip the stick over and your eyes flicker down to the small result window. There is a single line within it, stark and clear as day. You can't help but let out a hysterical laugh as tension quickly escapes you. You're not pregnant and you're so happy. 

The test is put back in the box and you walk it to the outside trash can, throwing it in before coming back inside. It's early in the morning; early enough that the boys are still dead to the world for a little bit. 

Today is a big day for the art world. Honey's exhibit is being shown at her art school, and of course Tom had made it a big deal to make sure all three of them would be in attendance. You walk to the kitchen and look at the fridge to see the invite; the only issue is that it runs pretty late and Ezra can get grumpy if he's not in bed at the right time.

Hopefully the bribe of ice cream and seeing Honey will keep him happy until the event is done. 

You turn around only to see Ezra standing behind you. A startled yelp leaves you and the sleepy eyed boy flinches at the sound. His eyes go red with tears and you instantly swoop him up into your arms. 

"I'm sorry I was loud, I didn't hear you wake up so I didn't expect to see you," you soothe the startled boy. 

Ezra nods into your neck with a wet sigh. Concern bubbles up as you set him down on the countertop. When he doesn't let go of your shirt and tries to hide himself you definitely know something is wrong. 

"Ez?" You prompt him.

"Mhphfpmh," Ezra tries but his voice his muffled.

"I can't hear you, can you please look at me while you talk?" 

Ezra barely pulls away as he repeats, "scary dream." 

Oh. You lean down and kiss his forehead and pull him back into your chest. The boy stays there for a bit, and his hands continue to grip your shirt as if to tether himself. You hum soothingly as you run a hand up and down his back. 

Tom, who is now up as well, stops when he walks into the kitchen and sees them. You mouth nightmare and Tom frowns. Ezra makes grabby hands for his father and you easily hand him over. Tom rocks the boy in his arms and reassures him that it was just a dream. 

"Morning Baby," you greet after a while.

Tom approaches you and gives you a quick kiss, "morning Darling."

The day operates fine for the most part. Tessa tears up a new couch cushion, nothing a sewing needle couldn't fix, but in the moment it was rather annoying. Slowly night rolls closer and eventually their car pulls up to the exhibition hall. Ezra is in a very nice button up and pants with his hair all done up like Tom's because I wanna look like Daddy! 

You fix your necklace that's clasp wound its way to the front before exiting the car. It's clearly an important event, that much is said just by the valet parking that instantly takes the keys from Tom and goes to park the car. 

They make it through the crowd of people into the hall. Ezra is between you and Tom, holding each of your hands. Your eyes look around the room only to see stunning pieces of student art. Tom is the first to see Honey's pieces, they're hung towards the center left of the all the displays in the room.