N I N E

"Wait he what?"

You spit out your toothpaste and rinse out your mouth and tooth brush, "what?"

From the other line you can hear your mother roll her eyes, "you're telling me Tom let his son stay with his parents, so he could take you out to celebrate your birthday? Is there something you're not telling me?"

"Oh my god no! Mom, Jesus Christ, nothing is going on. He felt bad that I couldn't get a flight in time to celebrate with you guys, so him and a few of his friends and my friends are headed out for a couple of birthday drinks," you explain while haphazardly coating your eyelashes with a thin layer of mascara.

"Y/N...he's your boss and I don't want to see you—"

"Mom," you snap, capping your mascara, trying to be as quiet as possible, "nothing is going on. He is my boss. He is also my friend. He is a friend who is helping me have a good twenty first birthday."

There is a beat of silence on the other end before she begins to talk again, "I'm sorry, I just want to make sure you're being smart. I shouldn't be grilling you on your birthday."

"It's alright," you sigh with a smile, "and you know this means we can finally day drink together since I'm legal back home."

"Don't feed my bad habits," your mother laughs, "but I won't hold you up any longer. Have a good birthday sweetheart."

"Thanks Mom, I love you."

"Love you too."

You hang up, taking a deep steadying breath. You're not necessarily surprised your mother picked up on your bullshit, but at the same time you're trying to ignore all those thoughts and feelings. Her bringing it up isn't helping, and you find yourself shoving it all into the back of your mind. Something you're getting scarily good at.

Walking out of the bathroom you cross the hall to your room, grabbing a jacket since the forecast for tonight was on the cold side. Then again, it's autumn now so what else would it be in the UK? Shrugging it on you look yourself over in your full-length mirror, feeling sexy and confident in the outfit you put together. Grabbing your purse, you put your phone in it before walking out to the living room.

On the couch is Harrison and Jacob, both sprawled out and laughing about some joke that was made. It's been a few months since filming has started, and you can tell Jacob is going to be a more permanent figure in the bromance between Harrison and Tom. You don't mind, and this is only the second time meeting him in person and you're already excited to keep hanging out with him. Sitting on the coffee table is Gina, one of your long-time friends from when you first made the big move across the Atlantic, clearly the one making the jokes. Closer to the door you see Ruby, another one of your good friends, chatting it up with Tom who is animatedly talking.

Then Tom's eyes flicker over to you and his chatter dies down, his hands falling to his side in a loose swing, and the awe-stuck look he has on his face has you squirming a bit.

"It's the birthday girl!" Harrison cheers and stands up excitedly.

"Twenty-one looks so good on you," Ruby grins and abandons Tom to come over and give you a hug.

Then everyone gets on board, giving you hugs. They're nice, and it makes you feel loved and warm. Except Tom's hug is a bit longer and unlike the others both your arms wrap around his neck and his go perfectly around your hips. After a moment you break apart and the air in the room feels like it's been sucked out, leaving you gasping for oxygen.

Jacob's phone goes off and he lights up, "alright our ride is here, we should probably get going."

You're so thankful that breaks the moment as the six of you make your way out of the house. Tom locks up and you grab his keys, putting them in your purse for safe keeping. The Uber is big, and you don't want to know how much it costs, but all of you fit comfortably all excited for the night out.