S I X

Your head is pounding as Ezra's screaming echoed off the walls. Today is just one of those days where you remember that this boy is only three and meltdowns happen, even if he's usually well behaved. This time it's over not having a biscuit treat since there was none left.

He knowingly ate the last one yesterday.

"I jus' wanna biscuit," Ezra cries from his spot on the floor, hiccupping with how forceful his sobs are.

You take a deep breath, because getting upset or yelling isn't going to solve this. Instead you lay next to him, staring at the ceiling, letting a few seconds pass. In that few seconds Ezra calms a bit but still gives out half whines and hiccups.

"You had a biscuit yesterday, yes?" You ask.

"Y-Yeah."

"The last one?"

"...y-yeah."

"So, we have no more, right?"

Ezra sits up, red faced, "uh-huh."

"So that means we have no more in the house," you say and sit up with him, "and you crying about it doesn't make me want to go get some more for you. If you calm down, maybe after we go to the park we'll stop at a shop and get you one...but that's only if you stop the tantrum. I can't fix it for you right now, but maybe later. Okay?"

"Later?" Ezra echoes.

"Later," you nod.

"'Kay," he says, using the back of his hands to wipe his teary eyes, "I get biscuits later."

You can't help but huff, amused by how quickly Ezra agreed to getting a biscuit later. Helping him up to his feet, you help him get ready for the park. It's a bit warmer today so you let him pick you a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. It's a cute little khaki pair of shorts with a Marvel shirt. One of his several Marvel shirts, and today it was a red one with a little Iron Man chest piece in the center.

You get dressed for the warmer weather as well, packing a daytime outing bag as well. Today Sam and Harry took Tessa on their little road trip for some photography thing, so you don't need to worry about getting stuff packed for her.

By the time the clock reads about noon you and Ezra are out of the house, walking towards the local park that's not too far. It's mostly a football field, but at the north end is a little sitting area and play area for children. Along the way, like most walks with Ezra, you teach him new signs and explain what things mean or what things do. Ezra is adorably curious when he's not being shy and closed off.

When you reach the park, Ezra runs ahead of you, excited to go play. You catch up to him, pretending to chase him, tickling his sides when you do catch him.

"Swings?" You ask.

"Swings!" Ezra agrees, marching over to the swing set.

You have the backpack you packed snug on your shoulders as you push Ezra on the swings. The boy is filled with high pitched screams of glee, his feet swing out of time with the actual swinging motions, and you end up taking a few pictures and videos for Tom. Next comes the slide and a bouncy-thing you're not quite sure how to use but Ezra has a blast with it. It surprises you how much you're enjoying spending time playing with Ezra, the little funny dialogue bits, the requests for help when he can't quite do what he wants on his own yet, and it's all so rewarding.

"Drink some water," you say after a while, pulling out a water bottle for Ezra to sip at.

The boy gulps some down, catching his breath after some hardcore playtime, and hands it back to you.