S E V E N T E E N

October rolls around, which means Tom has the month off to be home.

By default, it means Ezra is making it his personal mission to be a tiny terror. Today alone he dropped his plastic breakfast plate on the floor, making the sticky French toast you made go everywhere. When Tom let him wipe after another successful potty time, one look away meant Ezra had enough time to use way too much toilet paper and clog the toilet. By mid-afternoon both you and Tom have had about enough of it.

"Ezra James, come here."

You wince, because that is Tom's "Dad Voice™" and Ezra knows it too because the almost four-year-old sits on the couch with a sad puppy dog face. You decide to keep getting ready for the pumpkin carving get together with both the Hollands with an appearance from Harrison and maybe a few others.

"What's going on today bug? Why are you being so messy?" Tom asks.

Ezra shrugs, playing with his fingers in his lap, "I dunno."

"That's okay not to know...but you're kind of driving (Y/N) and I crazy today with that behavior," Tom explains, "and I know you want to go to the pumpkin party but if you keep this up we're not going to go."

That gets the boy's attention, big hazel eyes getting unnecessarily watery.

"But no," Ezra defends weakly.

"Then calm down a bit, okay? No more messes-especially at Nan and Gramp's okay?" Tom asks softly.

"O'tay," Ezra nods.

The next thing you know Tom has Ezra in his arms, holding the toddler close while running a hand up and down the boy's back. You're standing at the door with a small smile crossing your face, locking eyes with Tom who gives you a small wink in return. Over the next few minutes the three of you bundle up because it's quite cold outside, as well as load Tessa into the car to tag along.

She is a part of the family after all.

You slip on your rain boots, the fuzzy inside feeling quite nice given the weather outside. The only reason you have them is because of the paycheck you still keep getting from Tom, which feels very wrong. It is something you've had yet to talk about-much like everything else, all you know is that the two of you are something and still being paid settles weird with you.

It's a topic for another day though, because today is a good day.

Carving pumpkins. Having time with Tom's friends and family. Possibly having a bit too much to drink because there is going to be spiked apple cider there and that is irresistible. Tom lets you drive, mostly because he's trying to get Tessa to keep still in the back and Ezra wants attention from his father after the slight reprimanding.

And Tom is never going to say no to that boy.

"So, who all is going to be there?" You ask as you stop at a red light.

Tom turns back around in his seat, "my family, Harrison, maybe Sam's girlfriend-"

"Ooooh la la," you tease.

The man beside you laughs and continues, "I don't know if Haz's family is joining us, but maybe."

You nod, pushing the gas once the light turns green again, "so either really small or really big?"

"Yes," Tom says and you nod bracing yourself for either outcome.

It is then when your left hand is pulled off the wheel and placed on the center console, Tom's fingers linking with yours in a tight squeeze. Your skin flames and you can't stop the shy smile that crosses your face. His hand is soft against yours, the skin to skin making your stomach swoop in several directions all at once.