Ch 8: An Old-Timer's Bravery

🦊Lexie's POV 🦊

The gigantic cannon ball ricocheted off the shield and hurled itself into a building, the same place where Zoro was sleeping inside causing Luffy and I to grow pale and wide-eyed.

"NNGH! My house is ruined!" The Mayor shouted close to pulling out his hair.

"Screw your house! Zoro was sleeping in there!" Luffy exclaimed, pushing the old man out of the way running over to the pile of rumble that was left over. "Hey Zoro! Are you alive?" He dug into the remains trying to find his 2nd mate fanatically.

I went to help Luffy because of the anxiety that started to twist in my stomach seeing no swordsman in site. A noise to the left of us was heard, trailing our attention onto the largest pile of broken home. "Zoro?" I questioned going towards it, tearing some of the wooden panels from causing the rest of it to shake and brake apart revealing our green haired friend.

"UNGHH..That's one heck of an alarm clock." He groaned stretching his arms over his head, not a single scratch on his tan skin.

"You're alive!" Luffy cheered.

I just sighed, relieved that he wasn't hurt but slightly irritated that he made me worry. "I should have known, I wasted a good worried emotion for nothing."

Nami stared at Zoro, who remained on the ground too lazy to stand like the rest of us, in disbelief. "How could anyone live through that!?" She questioned him only to get a shrug as a reply.

The Mayor then broke into another fit of rage, "That tears it! I can't take it no more, I will not lose a second town to those sea hats."

"'Kay mister we get it, you're angry." I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest.

But of course, he continued talking, "I will not let 'em wreck 40 years of hard work!"

"Ugh, again with the 40 years thing. We get it, it's a 40-year-old town paint it on the welcome sign." I complained, tired of his empty threats, "Why don't you just grow a pair and confront Buggy already if it bugs you that badly."

Luffy burst out laughing at my words, while Zoro just smirk at them; both agreeing with me. Nami on the other hand gave me a horrified look, arguing, "Lexie! Don't encourage him."

"It's fine Nami, no one listens to my sensible advice anyways." I reassured her, thinking back to my childhood and how my brothers would never heed my warning on how bad their ideas were resulting in me having to patch them up afterwards.

However, the Mayor proved my theory wrong as he declared his next acts, "You're right no more talking it's time for action. I'm going to confront those Buggy Pirates."

"What?" Nami and I said, mine more filled with surprise while hers had more concern in it.

"It's time to fight!" He announced turn in the direction of where the rogue pirates would be. I mean it wasn't that hard to figure out since had left a trail of crushed homes.

"Mayor, please wait!" Nami pleaded pulling on the elderly man's armored arm. "It's too dangerous."

"Huh, I guess only idiots don't listen to my advice." I thought out loud looking over towards the two boys beside me, specifically Zoro, who felt my pointed gaze on him realizing the hidden insult was more for him than his captain that picking at the loose thread on his red vest.

"What I listen." He argued.

"Hmph, when forced to." I rolled my eyes at him; a smirk painted my lips. "What is it swordsman? Is being rough handled a kink for you?"

"What?!" He snapped at me with flustered cheeks, "No, it's not you mischievous, vixen."

"Sure, whatever you say moss pervert." I teased.