OOTP // 07

Walking into the dungeons was the perfect example of walking through hell.

Every single head turned.

Whispers were carried around, but the worst thing was, no one dared say a thing to me. They were so afraid of me, of my status in the Slytherin house, that they couldn't bring themselves to insult me in front of my face, even when they claimed I had betrayed them.

But that was nothing compared to what it felt walking into my room. It was empty, except for one person sitting on her bed.

Pansy looked up when I entered.

Her face was wiped clean of expressions. Then, slowly, a crooked smile formed on her face.

"You know, I always knew you loved the Gryffindors, but I never thought it'd be to the extent of betraying us. Humiliating our name."

I couldn't help the dry laugh that escaped my lips, "Betray you? We're houses, Pansy, not enemies. This is a school, not a battlefield."

Pansy rolled her eyes, "Right. You know, tell yourself whatever you want, but you've already gone and shamed our house. Merlin, could you have been any more selfish?"

"Selfish?" I questioned rhetorically, disbelief seeping into my tone. "For what? For deciding that I wanted to learn something instead of listening to Umbridge go on and on about how Hogwarts is a lousy school? I'm selfish for wanting that?"

And that was when Pansy snapped.

Her facade broke, and her face contorted with such anger, I took a step back.

She slowly got to her feet. "This isn't about Umbridge, or that stupid club. Why didn't you say anything? Why didn't you tell me? If you had, I would've let you be. You know I don't have anything against those stupid Gryffindors! It was the fact that I had to watch you walk out of that room with them, and then sit through people asking if I knew, and then pretending like I did! Do you know what they said? 'Did you know she was lying? To us? I mean, you're her best friend, of course you knew, didn't you?' I'm your best friend! What, am I not anymore? Did I not stick by you through all that has happened these past years? And then I learnt that Zabini knew! Do you know how that felt like?"

There were tears in her eyes now.

I glanced away. I knew I was wrong for not telling her, but I couldn't help the surge of anger that I felt.

"You're one to talk," I replied. "Since when were you in the squad?"

My lack of apology fuelled the fire that was already burning bright within Pansy.

"Since Draco asked me," She fired back. "I figured that if you didn't want to act on your feelings towards him, then I bloody well should. I'm not going to stand back and let you string him along. All these years, I've put my feelings aside because I knew he returned feelings for you, but you were so blind to them! All you ever think about is yourself! It's always, 'I don't want to be with him'. What about him? Did you ever see how hurt he'd get, when you were with Blaise or Marcus? Every single time he tried to get your attention, you'd turn away! Did you ever see how much he suffered? Obviously not. You're way in over your head!"

"How dare you. I am anything but blind to his affection towards me. We both know that the reason why Draco and I are nothing more than friends right now, is because neither of us wants to be more. You cannot blame me for wanting to put myself first. I will always prioritise me before anyone. You should know that by now. So don't you dare hold that against me." My voice had gotten lower, quieter.

I was seething.

I never expected Pansy to assume things of me. That drew the line.

A tear rolled down Pansy's cheek.