DH // 27

It was evening. Lucius and Narcissa had gone out.

I sat on the sofa in the hall, wondering what to do.

I hadn't seen Draco at all today. Perhaps I should go and see if he was okay.

I stayed on the couch for a while more, not feeling like getting up.

There was a twisted feeling in my stomach. I knew something was off, but I didn't think too much of it.

I slowly got to my feet, shuffling up to Draco's room. It took me about two minutes of pulling myself together, before I knocked softly on the door.

There was no reply.

"Draco?" I called. "It's Aria. Can I come in?"

Nothing.

I tried the doorknob to find that the door wasn't locked.

Slowly, I pushed the door open.

Inside, Draco's bed was a mess. His blanket was crumpled up, pillows on the floor, stacks of books on his bed.

But he was nowhere in sight.

My ear perked up at the sound of running water, coming from the bathroom. My heart sighed in relief.

I sat on his bed, looking through his books.

Draco had always been a bookworm. He didn't seem like it, but he loved books with all his heart. Fiction and non-fiction both.

He was always top of his classes, unless Harry Potter beat him with his dumb luck, but Draco was hardworking and diligent. He didn't come off as that to many, but only because it was an aspect of his personality he didn't thought much of. Yet, I loved him for all of it. For his intelligence, his quirks, his ability to think so vividly and differently. He wasn't like other people, and while he hated himself for that, I loved him for it.

I smiled to myself, remembering that one night in our fourth year, just after him and Harry Potter had gotten into a fight.

♔  F L A S H B A C K  ♔

I stumbled sleepily into the common room. My throat was dry, and I needed a glass of water. Desperately.

Before I could make my way to the jug of water, my gaze fell upon a figure seated before the fireplace.

Draco was staring ahead of him, legs crossed as he sat below the sofa, on the floor.

"Hey." I muttered, surprised that he was still awake.

Draco startled at my presence. When he laid eyes on me, he cracked a grin, "Hi."

I took a seat beside him. "Why are you up? It's like, two in the morning." I yawned, leaning against the sofa.

"I was just thinking," Draco replied me nonchalantly. "You know, about the tournament and everything."

Right, the second task was in a week's time. Cedric had been stressed out about it for days now.

"It's unfair, you know," Draco continued. "That Potter seems to win everything. He gets everything."

I smirked, "Are you thinking of your run-in with him? The furry one?"

"Shut up, Aria." Draco huffed, and I laughed at the thought of Draco being turned into a ferret.

"It's just, I came second to him in our class position this term. I think it's just bias. All the professors seem to be in love with him. Do you know how tiring it is? To constantly hear all of them praise him. 'Oh, how wonderful, Potter! You're amazing, Potter!'. What makes him better than me?"