Chapter 2

Tim POV (Two Years Later): 

I walk through the bustling halls backstage, as my manager Rob talks about the tour a little more. I can't help but roll my eyes. It's all he seems to talk about anymore. The award show tonight has been our first real break from the tour in over a month, which of course means Rob is going to analyze it the whole time.  Our first few dates sold out, which is great, but some of the reviews have been harsh on our opener, which has Rob worried. I go into my dressing room and crack open a beer, before digging through my pill box, popping three pills in my mouth and washing them down. 

"I think Tracey needs to go. He's just not the right fit for the tour." Rob critiques. Tracey's been a friend of mine since I moved to Nashville five years ago. Kicking him off the tour would be a little harsh, but I can't help but think Rob might be right. I sit down on the couch, leaning back into the cushions and taking a deep breath. "I put together a list of acts I feel would fit better." He says, laying down a folded sheet of paper in front of me. I read through the names as he continues to talk, before slowly sitting down on the couch across from me. "Most of them are females. I really think they would fit better with the tone of this tour." He adds, before I laugh at a couple of the names. 

"Lee Ann Womack?" I release, mocking his selection for a moment. "This isn't a songwriter's tour, Rob. It's amphitheaters and county fairs. They're not going to sit there and listen to ballads before my set." I reply, as he shrugs, seeming unaffected by my remarks. 

"There's a ton of people on there. We could look into this new act, Sara Evans." He lets out as I sigh. 

"I really would like someone with name recognition if we're replacing Tracey. I mean, he has a following..." I reply, as Rob looks down at the list, scanning through the names with his finger. 

"Ah, what about Faith Hill?" He says, as if he's had an epiphany. I stare at him, before starting to laugh. "What? She's got the right kind of songs. She's killing it on country radio, and she brings in a whole new fan base." He defends, while I start to look at the list again. 

"What about Jo Dee Messina?" I release, looking at her name. Rob rolls his eyes, before slipping up toward the edge of his seat. 

"You really don't think Faith would be a good fit?" He argues, as I set down the paper on the table and shrug. 

"It's not that... It's..." I stump myself for a moment, before clearing my throat. "Her songs would fit, but she's just..." I stop, while Rob stares at me, seeming to be at his wits end. 

"She's just what?" He challenges, sounding aggravated with the turn of the conversation. 

"Doesn't she come off a little, I don't know... She kind of comes off like a bitch." I let out, as he starts to laugh. He shakes his head and walks over to the mini bar, grabbing a beer. 

"That girl is known as country music's new sweetheart, and you already labeled her a bitch." He remarks, before taking a large drink. "God, Tim, you are something." He says, while I look at the list. 

"I think Jo Dee would be a better fit." I decide, standing up and walking over toward my wardrobe. I grab a dress shirt and slacks, quickly tossing them on while Rob continues to laugh. 

"Is this because she beat you last year for New Artist of the year?" He presses, as I flatten my tie and grab my jacket. I leave the dressing room, causing Rob to run out after me. "Tim, I'm sorry. I just think it's a tad ridiculous." He continue, half-apologizing while I make my way to the backstage bar. 

"Put Jo Dee on the tour." I state sternly, before grabbing a whiskey from the bartender. I glance across the room at a blonde in a gorgeous black evening gown. It glistens in the lowlight, as her fingers cradle a glass of wine. Her thin, tan shoulders cave a bit as she laughs, before she turns her head back toward the bar, revealing a diamond smile, emerald eyes, and her identity.