Chapter 4

Tim POV: 

I rush back to my dressing room after my performance, feeling my fingertips go numb from the adrenaline. Everything went as planned, if not better. I held notes a little longer than I did rehearsal, making me feel proud of myself. I slip on a pair of dark jeans as the TV in the room plays live footage of the show. 

"Please welcome, the one and only, Faith Hill!" The announcer says, as a curtain pulls up, revealing her standing in a slick black gown. She stands in front of a large accompaniment, seeming confident and terrified all at once. She lifts the microphone to her lips while a piano plays, so deep in the moment. 

"If I had just one tear rollin' down your cheek... Maybe I could cope, maybe I'd get some sleep... If I had just one moment at your expense... Maybe all my misery... would be well spent...." She belts out the last word, raising her hand and clenching her fingers lightly, like she's truly feeling the words. "Could you cry a little? Lie just a little? Pretend that you're feeling a little more pain. I gave, now I'm wanting something in return. So cry a little, for me..." She sings, captivating me for a moment. Her demeanor changes as she drifts to the next verse, falling down to lower notes once more. "If your love could be caged, honey I would hold the key. I'd conceal it underneath the pile of lies you've handed me. You'd hunt those lies, and they'd be all you ever find. That'd be all you'd have to know, for me to be fine..." She belts once more, before I notice eyes on me. I turn to see Rob staring at me, a slight smile on him. 

"What?" I say, resuming putting on a change of clothes. I button up my shirt, periodically glancing over to watch her perform. 

"You're truly blown away by her." He calls out while I laugh, blowing off the accusation. "Admit it. You've had an eye for that girl ever since you saw her at that damn radio conference in '94." He says, before I grab my tie off the counter. I glare at him, before hearing her hit the tagline. 

"Give it up baby. I hear you're doing fine. Nothing's gonna save me, no tear in your eye. Some kind of heartache baby, give it a try. I don't need pity, I just want what's mine..." She bellows, flexing her knees as she goes into the final chorus. "Could you cry a little? Die just a little? Pretend that you're feeling a little more pain. I gave, no I'm wanting something in return. So cry a little for me. Yeah... Could you cry a little... for me..." She finishes, her voice holding out before slowly fading. The music fades as well, before the crowd roars so loud, I can feel it from here. She smiles so bright, it's contagious. I watch her receive a standing ovation, a feat that is rarely conquered here. She confidently struts offstage as it turns to commercials. I glance back toward Rob, watching him grin, like he's caught me red handed. 

"It was a good performance." I explain, as he nods. 

"Sure it was. I'm sure you were focused on her voice, not the tight dress she's wearing." He remarks, while I roll my eyes. I finish my tie, before grabbing a bottle of water and taking a sip. Someone rushes in, giving up a sixty second warning. We walk to the stage, receiving a mic and mic pack. Faith walks up beside me, now wearing a different dress and brighter lipstick. They fasten a mic pack to her as she puts her monitors in. 

"Alright Tim, go on." A roadie says, causing her to look my way. 

"Good luck." She says, while I spare her a smile in response. I walk to the center of the stage, waiting for the curtain to lift. The band starts to play, signaling that we should be live any moment now. The curtain lifts, causing the crowd to applaud as I count the beats until I'm supposed to start. 

"I know it's late, I know you're weary. I know your plans don't include me. Still here we are, both of us lonely..." I sing, hearing a group of girls scream in the crowd. "Longing for shelter from all that we see. Why should we worry, no one will care, girl. Look at the stars so far away..." I release carefully, trying to nail every note I can. It's harder playing covers, and the pressure is definitely on, given that this is a tribute. "We've got tonight, who needs tomorrow? We've got tonight babe... Why don't you stay?" I let out, before hearing her voice. 

"Deep in my soul, I've been so lonely... All of my hopes fading away. I've longed for love like everyone else does. I know I'll keep searching even after today..." She belts out, reaching the highest level of her range. God, she blows me away. 

"So there it is girl, I've said it all now" I sing as she turns toward me. We slowly step toward each other. I feel a little surprised at how intimate it feels. 

"And here we are babe, what do you say?" She sings back, continuing to walk my way. 

"We've got tonight, who needs tomorrow? We've got tonight babe. Why don't you stay?" We harmonize perfectly, making us both smile. We've never sang together before last night... It's almost unheard of to harmonize with someone so quickly.

"I know it's late, I know you're weary. I know your plans don't include me..." I belt out a little stronger.

"Still here we are," She replies as we get closer. 

"Both of us lonely." We harmonize again, as we come as close as we can. We stand toe to toe, sharing a single spotlight. 

"We've got tonight." I let out softer, as she looks down at my lips. She's either acting in the performance or she's feeling what I feel. 

"Who needs tomorrow?" She matches my soft tone, glancing back into my eyes. 

"Let's make it last," I reply, watching her smile. 

"Let's find a way" She sings, before I feel a little out of breath looking at her. 

"Turn out the light" I release, before feeling my elbow brush against her arm. 

"Come take my hand now" She sings back, all signs of a smile fading. 

"We've got tonight babe. Why don't you stay? Why don't you stay?" We finish, holding out the last note as the crowd goes wild. We remain standing in the same place, looking at each other, instead of the applauding crowd. I don't know if they're standing or sitting, but their reaction is astounding, even though I can hardly hear a thing. Despite all the screaming, I can still hear her breathing... We stand, looking at each other for far too long. She breaks her stare, turning toward the crowd. I follow suit, before we both take a bow. The curtain falls, leaving me a little confused. She turns toward me, seeming to be fixated on something. 

"Did you feel that?" She whispers, as if it were of utmost secrecy. I nod, knowing exactly what she's talking about. She looks down at her hand, which hovers by her hip, trembling in the air. I debate holding onto it, but the moment my hand moves toward hers, we are interrupted. 

"Babe, that was amazing!" Dan exclaims, walking out to her with a shawl and a bottle of water. Her eyes remain glued on me, even as he guides her off stage. She looks over her shoulder, watching me until she disappears backstage. I remain frozen, before walking off a few moments later. I search the halls, knowing I can't rest until I figure out what the hell just happened. 

"That was awesome." Rob says honestly, walking beside me. He has to practically jog to keep up with me. "What's the rush?" He remarks, as I peek into a few dressing rooms. 

"Where's Faith?" I release, as he shrugs, pulling out his blackberry and sifting through his emails. I spot the door with her name on it and run toward it. I take a step inside, before feeling my stomach sink. It's completely empty...