Chapter 29

Faith POV: 

We sit on his couch, each of us tightly clinging to a glass of whiskey. We haven't said much, but I feel like there's not many words to describe what we've just gone through. He tips back his glass, before leaning forward and grabbing the bottle of whiskey off the table, pouring himself more. I hold my glass out for more as well, definitely needing it. 

"What we saw... it contradicts what we've seen before." He says, leaning back into the couch. I nod, before taking a drink. It's a harsh burn going down, but the numbness is to die for. "I just can't figure out what's real and what's not." He continues as I shrug. 

"None of its real." I reply, taking another sip. "It's all fake. It's just... everything fake made sense for awhile." I try to explain as he watches me. "Each time I've seen something like that, it's always been the same girl and guy... and the other guy this time, I recognize him." I ramble, as Tim studies me. I stop talking, a pit forming in my stomach. 

"Who are they?" He pushes. I shut my eyes, trying to find the strength to spit out their names. 

"My sister and the man who raped me." I admit, before grabbing my stomach. I breathe deeply as I feel tears reemerge. Tim leans his head back, shutting his eyes for a moment. 

"And the other guy?" He questions. 

"Her boyfriend." I answer, as he nods. He rubs his forehead, before reaching out toward me. I stare at his hand, unsure I want to risk seeing something so violent. I slowly take it, before feeling myself get reeled into another memory. 

I walk out to the car, watching the girls walk to their doors. I unlock it, walking around to each side and buckling them in. I put Audrey's stroller into the back, as Gracie and Maggie begin fighting over Audrey's car seat, just after I got her to sleep. 

"Guys, your sister is sleeping." I whisper sternly, taking a deep breath as I shut the trunk. I walk around to the driver's side door, before stopping in my tracks. Mere stands there holding the hands of two toddlers while her baby bump eludes to another on the way. Her eyes are sunken and her arms are bruised with what looks like track marks. 

"Hey sis." Her voice rasps as I stand in shock. "I didn't mean to sneak up on you." She says, before glancing in the car. "Are those your girls?" She asks, going to open the door. I lean against it so she can't. 

"What do you want, Mere?" I release, as her slight smile fades. 

"I need a place to stay." She admits, as I shut my eyes. "Just for a few days." She continues, before I look at her. 

"I can't help you." I let out, as she laughs. 

"Aren't you a millionaire or something? You don't have enough to pitch us cash for a motel?"  She starts to guilt, while I take a deep breath, trying to keep my composure. 

"I don't want to be the one giving you money for dope, Mere." I release honestly, watching her recoil. 

"I'm just trying to keep my kids warm, Audrey."  She says, pulling the ultimate guilt card. I look down at them, noticing a shivering little girl. I sigh, before digging through my purse. 

"There's a hotel across the street. I want you to show me the room keys once you're checked in." I say, watching her nod as I hand her a few hundred dollars. She walks over toward the hotel, disappearing inside as I park out front, waiting for proof. 

"Mom, I'm hungry." Maggie chirps, as I watch the doors closely. "Mom?" Maggie continues, before kicking the seat. 

"Maggie, stop." I let out, before the doors open. Mere walks out, before coming to my window. I roll it down, as she hands me a room key.