Chapter 25

Faith POV: 

I sit in Rob's car, parked in the driveway, as we have been for the last twenty minutes. He's been waiting for me to muster the nerve to walk inside, but I simply can't. I feel tears continue to fall, despite my best efforts to wipe them away. My hands still shake, as Rob tries to talk me down once more. 

"It's alright..." He lets out, as I pull my knees up to my chest. My cheek throbs, as I try to ignore how shaky my breaths have been. He turns toward me and sighs. "Faith, you have every right to press charges." He says, as I rub my forehead. 

"I'm not going to." I reply, before wiping a few tears from my cheek. Silence falls in the car once more, as the low hum of the radio calms me a bit. "I don't think I can see him again, Rob." I admit, watching him nod. 

"I understand." He answers, as I glance toward my house. 

"I don't know how the hell I'm going to explain this to Dan." I say, feeling my voice break. Rob cringes, before turning off his car. I look his way, as he opens the door. 

"We'll tell him." He says, offering a little comfort. He slips out of the car, before walking over to my side and opening mine. I step out cautiously, before following him to the front door. I unlock it, staggering in as Jake finishes his breakfast. Dan hears the front door and doesn't look up. 

"Momma!" Jake lets out, rushing toward me. He gives me a hug, as Dan clears his throat. 

"Jake, why don't you go upstairs and –" He says, before stepping around the corner and seeing Rob standing behind me. Jake obeys, rushing upstairs, as Rob guides me further into the house. "What's going on?" He asks, sounding a little disappointed as he looks at me. He pauses, before inspecting me. He looks toward Rob, awaiting elaboration. 

"Tim went missing last night." Rob starts, as I cringe at his name. I hug myself tightly. Dan rests his fingers under my chin, turning my head gently as he looks at my bruised and swollen cheek. I pinch my chin to my chest the moment his hand moves, feeling tears fall once more. "He was drunk, and he hit her." Rob continues. Dan leans his head back, before clenching his fist by his side

"Where the hell were you?" He spits out, as Rob sighs. 

"I was in the next room." He replies, before clearing his throat. "I came in when I heard the commotion." He answers, as Dan looks at me, noticing my state. He rests his hand on my cheek, watching me unravel. He looks Rob's way, knowing there's more to the story. 

"What the hell did he do?" He demands to know firmly, yet keeping a hushed tone to keep me from growing more upset. He wraps his arms around me as Rob tries to find the right words to describe the situation. 

"When I came out, he had her pinned down on the floor, and he was trying to..." He begins before taking a deep breath. Dan glares, growing rigid, as he holds me tightly. 

"Keep him away from her." Dan lets out, squeezing me, as if to reassure me that he was going to protect me. Rob nods. "I'm serious. He better pray that he and I don't cross paths anytime soon..." He threatens, starting to shake. I rest my hands on his back, holding him back. Rob nods once more, turning around and leaving us to come to terms with the events of last night. 

Six Months Later

Shayna douses my hair with hairspray, securing in massive curls that would make a Texan jealous. We laugh as we talk about our sons and their boyish ways. My makeup artist Diane lines my lip, struggling as I smile. 

"Ladies." Dan says, walking into the room. He lays his eyes on me and smiles, making my smile grow. He grabs my hand, knowing Diane will freak if he kisses me after spending twenty minutes on getting the risk shade of lipstick. "Do you want to go over the words one more time?" He questions, as I glance at myself in the mirror. A black dress hugs me as my eyes are carefully lined. I shake my head, feeling my hair brush my shoulders. He places his hand on my cheek, before kissing my forehead. "God, you are breathtaking." He says, making me smile.