Chapter 36 (Final Chapter)

Tim POV: 

"It's 2007." My voice rasps quietly as Faith sits up in her hospital bed, turned to face me. She nods, pushing her hair back behind her ears. "We have three baby girls." I continue, while she nods again. "We were in an accident... A stage..." I try to word as she nods, understanding me. 

"That's right." She reassures me, sparing a smile. She glances back at Mere sleeping on the couch behind her, before turning toward me once more. "Do you remember what happened on the riverfront?" She asks, while I nod. 

"I do." I confirm, watching her eyes start to water. "I don't understand how, but I do." I add, as she hugs herself, letting silence speak for both of us. 

I don't understand why we saw the things we did. I know she remembers and I know she was there. I've wondered if what we saw was our minds trying to process losing the other. Maybe I was trying to convince myself I could be fine without her, although clearly that wouldn't have been the case. I can hardly see straight without her. 

Faith believes that everything we saw while in the coma was our brains trying to process different things. She thinks that the flashes we saw were memories, and everything in between was our minds trying to come to terms with the memories and our own past. I guess there's no sure-fire way of knowing. We haven't been able to discuss it much, since Meredith is here and would probably freak out if she heard some of it. 

"How's your neck feeling?" Faith asks as I adjust in my bed. 

"Better. A little sore." I admit, happy to have the tube out after a long two weeks with it in. She spares me a smile, as a sudden commotion breaks out in the room. Three little girls rush in, dispersing throughout the room. 

"Mom?" Gracie calls, before rushing up to Faith, hugging her as Maggie joins in. Audrey rushes toward my bed, struggling to climb up before I help her. She wraps her arms around me, starting to wail as I hold her tightly. 

"It's alright, Baby." I let out, watching Faith's eyes drift this way. I rub her back, feeling her start to calm down slightly. She pulls out of her hug, wiping her large tears as they rush down her cheeks. I wipe a few away before kissing her forehead. "I'm okay, baby girl. Everything's alright." I reassure her quietly as she nods, struggling to catch her breath. God, I forgot how it felt to play Dad. I missed it. I grab onto her, holding her again as Gracie and Maggie begin to talk Faith's ear off. However, Faith's attention is on me and Audrey. 

"Maggie got my teacher I had for fourth grade, Ms Desantos. I told her she was lucky, but she didn't want her." Gracie begins to ramble as Audrey slowly calms down with her cheek pressed tightly to my chest. I run my fingers through Audrey's hair, before locking eyes with Faith, smiling as she smiles back. 

"I love you." She mouths, her eyes seeming to well up. Her golden curls cascade, before she pushes her hair behind her ear, taking my breath away. 

"I love you too." I mouth back, as Maggie starts to pull on her sleeve, eager to show off her arm covered in temporary tattoos. Faith looks down at her arm, gasping playfully as she looks at all the tattoos. 

"My goodness, Maggie!" Faith says with a smile, making me crack a smile as well. I lean back in my bed, letting Audrey rest on my chest as I watch my happy little family. 

I was so lost without them. And Faith, she was lost without them too. Sure, she had her own life that she made for herself, but it wasn't the one she wanted. Every husband has a drifting thought about what would happen if they had never gotten married. But she needs me just as much as I needed her. I can safely say this is just the way it should be. 

Fate be damned...

_______________