Chapter 27

Faith POV: 

I read a book quietly, while Dan types emails on his laptop in bed. I turn my page, before growing distracted by how loudly he is typing. I glance over at him, noticing how tired he looks. 

"Babe..." I pipe out, before rubbing his shoulder. 

"What, Faith?" He replies, sounding annoyed. I shut my eyes for a moment, before shaking my head. 

"Nevermind." I let out, setting my book down and crawling under the comforter. I turn off my light, and shut my eyes. 

I lie on my back, looking at the concrete ceiling. I can't feel anything, but I can tell my chest is pounding. My eyes cloud over, making it hard to see as figures rush over me. I feel myself move, as things bump into me. I can't tell what they are... 

A figure emerges quickly, speaking to me, but I can't hear what they say. They lift me, causing pain to surge like electricity. My chest burns, as if someone poured alcohol onto a fresh wound. I squirm, desperate to find comfort, but no matter how much I move, the pain only intensifies. Their hands are steady on me, guiding me through the blurred figures. They suddenly enter a dark room, turning on the light and blinding me. They continue to speak, but I can't hear. 

"Faith!" They shout, shaking me. I hear a rasping scream, as if someone were being burned alive. It takes only a moment for me to realize the screams are coming from me. "Faith, baby, you have to stop screaming." Tim says, frantically pressing his suit jacket against my wound. I try to hush my screams, but they're still violent. His hands tremble as he seems pale. His bright white dress shirt is coated in the darkest shade of red in the front. 

What sounds like firecrackers rings outside, causing him to cower. He hastily picks me up, making me scream once more. He covers my mouth, taking shelter in a closet. He pulls the door shut, after noticing the large puddle of blood left in the middle of the room. He cradles me in the back of the closet, rocking back and forth as he tries to calm me. He rests his lips against my forehead, keeping pressure on my chest. I struggle to catch my breath, making him wince. 

"It's alright, baby..." He whispers, before a bang sounds for outside the door. He jumps, holding onto me a little tighter. He shuts his eyes, before moving me so my face is pressed against his chest. He pins me against him, as commotion breaks out. I feel him roll on top of me, as loud bangs pepper the air. "Ah..." He cries out, as he grabs onto me painfully tight. Hands try to pull us apart, but his grip is ironclad. He keeps himself over me, as he gets kicked and hit, before more loud bangs. I try not to scream, but it's damn nearly impossible to hold it in. I try my best to stay still and silent as the room grows quiet. 

"Is he dead?" A girl lets out, as I feel myself lose the ability to breathe. Another bang makes me jump, as I don't feel a reaction from Tim. 

"He's gone." A man replies, while I shut my eyes tightly. They suddenly pull him off of me, tossing him to the side like a rag doll as I scramble toward him. The man grabs my arm, dragging me away from him, as a girl grabs my chin, forcing me to look at her. 

"Did you think I was fucking joking?" She taunts, before turning my head to look toward Tim. I scream, feeling unable to breathe at the sight. "Does this look like I'm fucking joking, Audrey?" She roars in my face as I shrivel. I slip onto my hands and knees, causing the man to force me onto my face, pinning me down."What's the code?" She demands, as I shake my head, sobbing loudly. "Audrey, what's the goddamn code?" She raises her voice, before slapping me. 

"What code?" I cry, before looking toward Tim. His chest rises, making my heart stop. "Tim?" I call, before she hits me again. 

"The gate. What's the gate code?" She orders, as my stomach drops. I crumble. 

"My kids." I sob, before shaking my head. She grabs my shirt collar, pulling me up toward her. 

"If you tell me the code, we won't kill the kids." She spits out, as my eyes drift toward Tim. 

"Why do you need the code?" I reply through my tears. 

"We are going to rob the house." She says, as I hear Tim groan. The man walks over toward him, making my chest freeze. "Audrey, the code." She orders once more, as I'm too caught up in watching the man. He kneels down next to Tim as Tim gasps for air. He presses his knee down on his chest, causing Tim to fight for air. His hands move desperately, trying to push him off, as his chest moves awkwardly, trying to fight against the weight. 

"Stop!" I scream, trying to push toward him. She pins me down before looking over toward them. 

"What the fuck are you doing?" She questions, as Tim begins coughing blood. 

"Putting him out of his misery." He replies, as I watch in terror, screaming non-stop. 

"Knock it off." She orders, as he stands. Tim tries to gasp, now choking on blood. He looks down at him, before raising his foot. 

"No!" I screech, before he stomps on his chest, taking my breath away. He shuts his eyes, turning his head away as he squirms in agony. 

"The code!" She screams, before I shake my head again. She grabs my arm, dragging me toward him. She holds me in front of him, forcing me to look his way. He looks up at me, the veins in his eyes bursting as he strains. "Last chance, Audrey." She threatens, as I reach for his hand. He grabs it, before I see him shut his eyes tightly. A loud bang rings out, as I feel myself collapse over him. I can't feel a thing, but I can hear after the ringing in my ears subside. I feel Tim move under me. He turns onto his stomach, coughing until he starts to throw up blood. He gasps, and struggles to inhale once more, making the worst wheezing sounds. After a few moments of fighting to breathe, his gasps turn to cries. 

"No..." He howls, his face against the laminate. He lifts his head, looking my way, before shutting his eyes. He sobs, shaking his head. "Oh my god!" He screams. "Jesus Christ..." He bellows. He turns himself toward me, bawling as he wraps his arms around me. "I'm so sorry..." He sobs. "Jesus Christ, I'm so sorry..." He starts rocking, before having to gasp for air again. "Baby, please... please, baby." He whimpers, sobbing into my chest. The door opens once more, making him jump. 

"Tim, tell me the code." The girl lets out, as he clings to me. Tim's in too much shock to reply, causing her to grab me and pull me out of his arms. He panics, now looking her way. "Tim!" She screams, as he shakes his head. 

"Kill me... I'd rather you kill me." He spits out, knowing what she'd do to the girls. Without hesitation, she shoots him. 

I sit straight up, screaming into my hands as my chest pounds violently. Tears stream down my cheeks as I struggle to catch my breath, feeling the terror carry over. I reach for Dan, but he's not beside me. I look at the clock, before shutting my eyes, knowing he's already left for work. It's not like he'd understand it anyway. I reach for my phone, dialing the only number I know to call. 

"Hey Faith." Rob answers casually, as I rest my hand on my chest. 

"Is he okay?" I cry, before covering my mouth, breaking down. Rob sighs, before clearing his throat. 

"He's okay."