Poker Game - Lucifer (Dr. Parnassus AU) (PRT 3)

"Dr. Parnassus, my good man!" Lucifer said, walking into his room.

"What do you want, Lucifer?" He said, taking a swig of rum.

"My good man, what do you mean? I want nothing but to chat!" Lucifer said, taking off his hat.

"You always want something when you come to me." He said. "Wagers, bets, collecting your prize."

"My dear sir, I want nothing of!" Lucifer said, sitting on a pile of books and pillows in the right room. "But we do have to chat."

"About what?" Parnassus slurred.

"In a bet about a thousand years earlier, you bet your first born's soul when they turned seventeenth." Lucifer said. He looked down and around, meeting eyes with him again. "Wasn't their seventeenth birthday last week?"

"No!" Parnassus stood. "Their still sixteen, I know they are!"

"My dear man, I think you've drank a little too much." Lucifer said, sitting him. "We're in a pickle. You promised me your first born but you refuse to hand them over now."

"Wh-What are you going to do?"

"How about this: one final bet. The bet to end all wagers!" Lucifer said. "If you can turn twelve sinners to the light in, I don't know, eight years time; you keep your first born. But if you don't, I keep your first born."

"What's in it for you?"

"Seeing you squirm as you fail." He hissed happily, his cat eyes staring into Parnassus' soul.

You woke in cold sweat, bolting up as you hyperventilated. A nightmare of sorts, you guessed. Lucifer would never do that. Lucifer is not the Devil. He's not the Lucifer they talked about in Sunday school way back in the day. You thought for a moment, but then dismissed the thought.

Lucifer has gotten you home safe the other night, and the same with Gabriel. He somehow got all the things that Percy asked you to get but didn't have the chance to. Percy was pleased, but told you both to stay away from him. You got up, noticing that the carriage was parked. You went outside to see Percy and Gabriel around a fire, boiling water.

Percy turns. "Perfect timing." He said, handing you a small wad of money. At least £150. "I need you to go to the market. Get us eggs, vegetables, and a chicken if you can find one."

"What about the rest of the money?" You ask.

"You return it to me so I can save it for the next week's grocery." He says. "I expect exact change. None of that 'I also bought' shit. Just eggs, vegetables, and a chicken."

"Alright, alright, let me get my shoes on." You said, grabbing a random pair of shoes from inside the door. You also grab a paper bag to carry the food with. "I'll be back in a bit."

At the market, you headed for the chicken first. Nothing cheap. All of them were at least £40 a piece. You snap your fingers to get the guy's attention. "Hey! Why are all of these so bloody expensive?"

"There aren't that many, as you can see."

"There are fifty on this table! I could buy one next week for less!"

"Then buy one next week!"

The guy goes back to his work. You look down to see one of his live chickens. You kneel, face to face with the bird. You grab it by the neck, snapping it and quickly stuffing it into your bag without the man noticing.

Your looking at the fruits and vegetable stand when you hear a familiar voice. "Clever one, aren't you, Mx. Parnassus?" Lucifer said. "Killing one of his birds and stealing it, now that's something."

"Lucy!" You say, shoving his shoulder. "You scared me."

"I have that effect on people." He says. "How are you today; healthy, I presume?"

"Very." You said, inspecting a red onion and putting it back. "And how are you today, Lucy-"

You turn to become inches away from his face again, just like the night you met him. You cut yourself off as you become a little dumbstruck.

"I'm well, Mx. Parnassus." He said, picking up a peculiar yellow apple in a bunch of red apple. He hands the woman at the stand a few shillings and buys two. He hands you one, looking across the market and biting into his apple. "An apple a day, and I get by."

"Only an apple? Surely a man of your taste would have three course gourmet meals out on an expensive costal restaurant." You say, putting your apple in your bag and walking along the path to look for other vegetables.

"Are you implying that I'm a rich man, Mx. Parnassus?" He asks, taking another bite.

"Are you not?"

"No, not even close to one."

"Then why do you promise people riches?"

"As I've said, I am a trickster of sorts."

"Sneaky thing, you are."

"Indeed, Mx. Parnassus, I wouldn't want to get caught up in it all." He said, taking a third bite. "Even if it seems tempting."

You stop in front of another stand. You grab multiple things, setting it on the man's counter, about to get your money out when Lucifer stops you. "Don't waste your money, Mx. Parnassus, it's nothing."

"Lucy, I sort of need food to live and satisfy my family's needs."

To your surprise, Lucifer pays for your things and simply puts them in your bag. "I'm not a rich man, Mx. Parnassus, but as I've said: I get by."

You stare in shock as he bites into his apple again and head forward. "Is there anything else that you need from the market?"

"Eggs." You said. "Then Percy told me not to get anything else."

"Nonsense!" He said. "We're on my budget, not yours. Let's go forth."

You smiled. "You're a kind man, Lucifer. I'm surprised you don't have a woman or a man on your arm all the time."

"I only have eyes for one thing." He said.

"Who's the lucky person?"

"I mustn't say, Mx. Parnassus." He starts. "For two can keep a secret if one of them is dead, and I'd hate to see one of us die by a little secret."

"Surely you wouldn't kill me after you've told me such a small thing?"

"No, but the expense would kill me." He said, walking down the path of markets with you. "You said you needed eggs?"
~.~.~
"Sure took you a long time." Percy said when you came back. You rolled your eyes, giving him the bag of food. His eyes widen and he shoots you an angry look as he inspects everything. "I told you not to get anything else besides eggs, vegetables, and a chicken."

"Live a little, Perseus, it doesn't hurt to get a muffin or two."

"Yeah, a muffin or two!" He said. "You bought a baker's dozen!"

"I didn't buy it." You said, holding the full £150 he gave you at first.

"You stole all of this?!"

"Relax, only the chicken." You said. Gabriel held up the still feathered and headed chicken. Gabriel sighs.

"I'll start plucking." He said.

"How did you get this stuff then?" Percy asked as you went in. You hung out of the door frame for a moment to answer him.

"A friend helped me." You said simply before entering the carriage.