Reaching for the Future

I look up at the dark sky and close my eyes I could almost feel my future laying down around me. It surrounded me and enticed me forward. But I was afraid. I was afraid that the group of people I longed to meet would not accept me. I rubbed my arms, not entirely because of the cold night air.

        "You will do wonderful, Darling." I turn to see all my closest friends and my father standing behind me. The wind softly waved my hair around as I smiled at them sadly. They all knew that I was leaving them now. Poor Tympan was bawling on the ground and Peter was bravely wiping away tears the size of my index finger. Lustwig and Sabrinya huddled close together, drawing strength from each other as they looked at me sadly. I smiled bravely and hugged them all closely. Peter lifted us all up together and we laughed through our tears. My dad shook his head lovingly at the ruckus we were making but chuckled lightly as Peter set us down again. We stayed that way all night, all of us huddling close and laughing loudly, our tears just almost brimming over. When one of us started crying, we all cried. We had always been together. We were the group, it was always just us and now that I was actually leaving it hit me how very much I would dearly miss them. They accepted my desire to leave and promised to look out for me.

        I collapsed on the ground, soaking in the grass gently tickling me. The others plopped down beside me, Sabrinya not bothering to care about her high class, breath taking dress getting dirty. She grasped my hand tightly as Peter plopped down by us, shaking the ground as we all chuckled. This was peaceful, staring up at the glistening stars so far above us. It was beautiful. We stayed like that until the sun started to raise gently on the horizon. I sat up first. I stood and said nothing as my closest companions rose around me. Sabrinya was first to break down. She threw her arms around me as her dress fluttered softly around me. She smelled like flowers, gentle and soft. Her tears dripped down my neck as she held me so tight I thought she would strangle me. I pet her hair, trying not to get poked by her short horns. Lustwig finally came up and ran a hand down her back and her sobbing quieted immediately, letting go of me hesitantly. Her hands tightened on my shoulders before she kissed me and let me go. Lustwig came in and held me close, one hand cupping my head into his neck and the other on my waist. I sniffled a little bit before he let me go and kissed me. Tympan was a mess. He sloppily hugged me, bawling his eyes out as I knelt down to hug him better. I giggled a little as I smoothed back his hair and wiped his cheeks. I kissed him and he stopped blubbering immediately. His mouth opened a bit in shock and I laughed.

        "SEE THERE PRETTY BOI!? I'M OUT OF THE FRIEND ZONE SO WATCH OUT!!" He let out a booming laugh and skipped away as I brushed a tear away with a chuckle. I stood up as Peter's shadow covered me. Peter picked me up and buried his head in my neck, or as much of it could fit. I rubbed his head soothingly as my clothes got soaked with his tears. He finally quieted and set me down. All my friends huddled closely together as I waved at them, tears falling freely on my face. They waved back. My dad was last and we clutched at each other desperately. I felt tears falling softly on my head and my eyes widened as my breath hitched. My dad was crying! He was legit crying! I held him tighter and he rubbed my head like he used to when I was sick or couldn't get to sleep. Dad shifted his head down so his lips were by my ear.

        "Sweetie, you are the best thing that ever happened to me and I will always protect you, baby." I buried my face in his jacket and breathed in his smoky scent as I tried desperately not to cry all over him. "Time to let go, Kitten. Your future awaits." I broke away from his warm, strong arms and walked towards the sunrise, tears flowing freely and my shoulders shaking. I turned one last time to see my family waving at me and I straightened my shoulders and took a deep breath. I turned towards my future and took another step.